Re: [board-discuss] membership application/language and supporters

Hi Norbert,

Norbert Thiebaud wrote on 2012-05-30 17:37:

Just to be clear: It is not my position that we should be
"excluding people who contribute to the success of LibreOffice and the
foundation, "just" because they don't speak English."

oh, no, don't get me wrong - didn't want to put words in your mouths. :-) Just summed things up, exaggerating a bit, to make my point clear.

But, as far as communication with the MC, for membership purpose, I do
not want to put the burden on the MC to find translator to be able to
handle request in any languages.

I see it similar - the main and primary language of the MC, for internal as well as external communication should be English, and it's not the MC's duty to find translators. Of course, looking at the current composition of the MC, we have members inside who speak German, Dutch and French at least, so if they would volunteer to act as gateway, that would be appreciated. Of course, I know you all are busy as many active TDF members, so getting in externals for that task is also worthwile.

I would suggest that the burden to find such proxy is on the
applicant... and that is actually an exhibit of proper interaction
with the community.

Agreed.

I think practically, we can do it similar to the statutes. The "official"
form and rules are in English, but for convenience, we can provide localized
versions, given we find volunteers to translate them. The "binding"
variants, however, should solely be the English ones then (except for legal
texts, but that's another topic I don't want to touch here...).

Agreed, but without exception :-)

:-)

Florian Effenberger, Chairman of the Board