Re: [board-discuss] membership application/language and supporters

Hi all,

Thanks for the thoughts...

Charles-H.Schulz wrote (22-05-12 18:43)

I'll try to go back to the initial two questions. The first one, the one
of the language, is an important one. To my very own surprise (and
partial misunderstanding) we have lots of enthusiastic volunteers who
*do and contribute* lots of efforts but are almost fully unable to
interact with the English language. This in turn brings many undesired
effect, such as the lack of recognition and the lack of awareness of
[...]
base thanks to a huge, ubiquitous and enthusiastic community. So if we
can, say, translate a certain page such as the membership application
page or have a process ready for people who are active but who cannot
interact well with English, the MC should work on this.

Or/and the Membership Committee could, after the initial steps, bring the idea to the l10n lists, just to let the ones that want it, translate some part. And indeed, Norbert, this implies that people with a particular language help each other to understand the various topics.

On Cor's second question, I read it in two very different ways. One way
to understand the issue is that we have people who don't feel they
qualify so they would like a different kind of membership. I think that,
just like what's written in the bylaws, membership is something you
earn, not something you can just ask for. But I'm sure we can come up
with a different term, because I also don't wish to downgrade the value
of membership by watering it down with other kinds of membership. "Fan
of LibreOffice", for instance, etc.

Yes, using the term 'member' would be inappropriate. It's about supporters: people that are not active, but want to express their support in a clear way.

One reminder though: I think the
criteria for membership are quite broad, and I think the real issue is
that people don't apply, not that they get frustrated because they are
rejected.
[...]

AFAIAA, that does not play any role for the situations that I want to solve.

The second way for me to read this is that I think this
[...]

Was not what I had in mind.

Kind regards,

--