Re: [board-discuss] membership application/language and supporters

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Cor Nouws <oolst@nouenoff.nl> wrote:
Hi all,

When inviting people in the Dutch language community to consider membership
of TDF, two items showed up.

1. Not all active people are familiar enough with the beautiful English
language to feel comfortable to use the application page (& related info).
 > has partial translation been considered, and if not, can it be?

From a practical stand-point, the only actual prerogative of members
is their ability to vote for BoD and MC.
How could one make an educated decision as to whom to vote for without
basic understanding of who the candidates are and what they stand for,
hence, in most case, without understanding of basic English ?

2. Not all supporters are active in a way that they feel like applying form
membership.
 > the idea 'supportive membership' has been mentioned before.
 Has it been discussed too?

I'm not sure what that means... can you elaborate ?

Norbert

PS: I do think that current member should 'invite' people they know to
be active to become member (and drop a heads-up/recommendation email
to the membership committee).
PS2: the main problem with non-conventional 'activity' is the ability
of the MC to objectively measure it... having existing member vouching
for such activities would go a long way, I think, in making that
happen.