buying a new server

Hello,

we just experienced a disk failure on our mirror server - the hardware/kernel is simply too old for having SSDs working properly, so we right now have to switch back to the normal SATA disks, which are rather slow.

I therefore will request tomorrow in the BoD call to buy another machine, to solve that issue. The invested time already justifies investing into additional hardware.

Florian

we just experienced a disk failure on our mirror server - the
hardware/kernel is simply too old for having SSDs working properly, so
we right now have to switch back to the normal SATA disks, which are
rather slow.

  Unfortunate indeed.

I therefore will request tomorrow in the BoD call to buy another
machine, to solve that issue. The invested time already justifies
investing into additional hardware.

  Sounds like an obviously correct decision to me - I assume it'll be sub
$2k or so ?

  ATB,

    Michael.

Hi,

Sounds like an obviously correct decision to me - I assume it'll be sub
$2k or so ?

depending on what we need about 1-1,5k per year. :slight_smile: More later in the call, plus an updated budget (which you can already retrieve via the intranet).

Florian

Hi Florian,

> Sounds like an obviously correct decision to me - I assume it'll be sub
> $2k or so ?

depending on what we need about 1-1,5k per year. :slight_smile: More later in the
call, plus an updated budget (which you can already retrieve via the
intranet).

  Wow - well, it is entirely possible that ByteMark may donate some
hardware for our mirror service in return for some (tasteful & discrete)
mention / linkage. Dan would be the guy there.

  What specification of machine / bandwidth do we need ?

  Dan - any chance of joining the board call at 16:00 UTC today ? the
dial-in details are here:

  http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/BoD_Meetings

  HTH !

    Michael.

Hello,

  Wow - well, it is entirely possible that ByteMark may donate some
hardware for our mirror service in return for some (tasteful& discrete)
mention / linkage. Dan would be the guy there.

that sounds indeed interesting. :wink:

  What specification of machine / bandwidth do we need ?

That's the machine I would rent:

---

Intel Xeon E3-1245 Quadcore incl. Hyper-Threading Technology
RAM 16 GB DDR3 RAM ECC
Hard disks 2 x 3 TB SATA 6 Gb/s HDD
7200 rpm (Software-RAID 1)
Enterprise class
NIC 1 Gbit OnBoard

---

Important for us is that we have in addition at least one, if not two SSDs, plus - mandatory - a connection via Gbit/s (anything below is simply too slow for feeding the mirrors). A traffic of about 5-10 TB, maybe even more, per month is to be expected.

Also, a KVM console ("rescue system") including a remote reboot/reset is very desirable.

I agree these are rather high requirements, but since you asked... :slight_smile:

Florian