Re: [board-discuss] buying a new server

Hello,

Michael Meeks wrote on 2012-03-21 11:39:

        Wow - well, it is entirely possible that ByteMark may donate some
hardware for our mirror service in return for some (tasteful&  discrete)
mention / linkage. Dan would be the guy there.

that sounds indeed interesting. ;-)

        What specification of machine / bandwidth do we need ?

That's the machine I would rent:

---

Intel Xeon E3-1245 Quadcore incl. Hyper-Threading Technology
RAM 16 GB DDR3 RAM ECC
Hard disks 2 x 3 TB SATA 6 Gb/s HDD
7200 rpm (Software-RAID 1)
Enterprise class
NIC 1 Gbit OnBoard

---

Important for us is that we have in addition at least one, if not two SSDs, plus - mandatory - a connection via Gbit/s (anything below is simply too slow for feeding the mirrors). A traffic of about 5-10 TB, maybe even more, per month is to be expected.

Also, a KVM console ("rescue system") including a remote reboot/reset is very desirable.

I agree these are rather high requirements, but since you asked... :-)