Re: [board-discuss] AB-Member and ESC-Member on TDF-Website

Hello,

Norbert Thiebaud wrote on 2012-02-27 19:01:

My main concern is this case (only wrt to the ESC.):

John Doe is employed by Microsoft-Luxemburg as a pre-sale support for
IIS (I'm making that up)
during is leisure time he like to contribute to open source, and doing
a great job at doing so in LibreOffice,
he is offered to seat on the ESC.
Since his work on FLOSS is not sponsored by Microsoft nor necessarily
approved by it, he does not want to/ is not allowed to
involve the name of his employer into the process.
What should his 'affiliation' then be ?

iow. Should we rely solely on self-described affiliation ?

I think these are indeed two discussion items. For the ESC, it can be a bit more relaxed, since it is not legally enforced, for the AB it is a bit more complicated.

We never can have a guarantee that someone has a different affiliation than described. We can give our best in advance, and also count on people to be honest. I also think that the "risk" in the ESC and even in the AB is lower, whereas for the BoD or MC it would be more critical, since the influence is much higher.

Legally spoken, as soon as we have evidence that someone has a different affiliation than he mentioned, and if that causes a conflict of interest, the BoD has to become active. Otherwise, in the example above, I tend to say he indeed has no affiliation, if the two tasks are not directly related to each other.

Of course, if we had an ESC consisting of 80% Microsoft IIS sales reps, we should be careful. :-)

In other words: I think all of this will be a learning process for us. The more people disclose, the better it will be for us to see the real affiliation, of course.