Re: [board-discuss] AB-Member and ESC-Member on TDF-Website

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

So, while I agree this is also theoretical, the more we can make public, the
better it will be, the more it will serve our matter of transparency.

I understand and agree with your argument and the scenario described.

My main concern is this case (only wrt to the ESC.):

John Doe is employed by Microsoft-Luxemburg as a pre-sale support for
IIS (I'm making that up)
during is leisure time he like to contribute to open source, and doing
a great job at doing so in LibreOffice,
he is offered to seat on the ESC.
Since his work on FLOSS is not sponsored by Microsoft nor necessarily
approved by it, he does not want to/ is not allowed to
involve the name of his employer into the process.
What should his 'affiliation' then be ?

iow. Should we rely solely on self-described affiliation ?
In which case, the take over scenario described earlier can only be
dwarfed if observers manage to independently determine 'real'
affiliation based on name to detect a conflict
otherwise ill-intended committee stuffing would certainly avoid
dissimulating one's affiliation, and the 'official' affiliation list
would not be useful for the purpose of detecting such situation.

Let me put it that way:
I would expect that
+ for most sponsored people we do have an affiliation (most sponsor
want to advertise that they do)
+ ESC member can choose to be classified publicly as 'Independent',
with the understanding that other ESC members are privately confident
that such ESC nomination is not jeopardizing the ESC balance, wrt the
30% rule.
+ such implicit affiliation can be shared with the BoD.

(pretty much how it works today)

For the AB:
I honestly do not care that much either way... I'll leave that in the
capable hand of the BoD :-)

Norbert