Re: [board-discuss] General questions

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
Hi,

A few questions:

The Advisory Board

1 - Where would I find a rooster of what corporations constitute the
board and who their representatives on the board are?

I think the list has been advertised... but I not sure the actual
names of the people delegated to represent such companies are
relevant.
An AB seat is bound to the sponsoring entity, and they get to
designate whom-ever they want at any time to represent them.
AB is the only entity where people are not there as individual but as
representative of some other entity.
So I agree that the list of entity should be public, but the
individual's name of the representative... not so sure it is required.

2 - Minutes from AB meetings, where would I find those?

I don't think that such minutes are published, nor should they.
If you want honest and frank advices/opinions  from big corporation,
you can't have these advice being published publicly.

Similarly in order to get advice from these actors, I expect our
representatives to present to them ideas, line of inquiry, nascent
projects that are being considered... most of them in a state of
development that would render them premature for public disclosure at
that time...
So once you remove all that meat from the minutes, you would be left
with nothing substantive... I don't see the point.

Current Budget (expenses paid primarily)

1 - Where, or when will financial statements become public, either for
general availability (my preference but I know that cuts across the
grain form many), or restricted to TDF membership?

Since we are collection money from the public, under charitable
status, I think we should publish publicly  at least a top-level
'Income Statement' and Balance Sheet.

Members on the other hand should have the ability to audit the full
detailed accounting ledger, provided some confidentiality requirement
(every member is entitled to see the books, but not to publish or
disclose to non-member information contained herein that has not
otherwise been made public. the idea is to empower the membership to
trust-but-verify, not to allow competing entity to gain inside
knowledge)

Otoh the stifung was just created... up to now the accounting were
somehow mixed with frodev... so I would no expect to have anything
published for a while. Realistically public disclosure of some
accounting would prolly be an end-of-fiscal-year event... since the
work needed is already done for tax purpose it would not be an extra
burden on our volunteers.

Norbert