FOSDEM travel funding

Hello,

after missing last year, I'd like to attend FOSDEM in Brussels this year. I'm still planning whether I can make it, but since I have nearly no income, I cannot afford paying on my own, so I'd like to ask for travel funding, paid from the SPI budget we have.

Unfortunately, all flights from Munich that go directly to Brussels in one hour are already rather expensive, approximately 300 €. All cheaper flights go via Paris or Zurich, and switching planes, and take up to 5 hours, which is insane, since the trip to the airport alone takes me 2 hours. :wink:

Going via train is about 8,5 hours, but available for approximately 200 €. Still rather expensive, but the cheapest I can get. I plan to arrive on the 3th and leave on the 5th, so depending on the hotel costs, I guess I need funding of not more than 400 €.

Would the BoD be willing to support this request?

Thanks,
Florian

PS: If anyone knows a cheaper direct flight connection, let me know. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Going via train is about 8,5 hours, but available for approximately 200
€. Still rather expensive, but the cheapest I can get. I plan to arrive
on the 3th and leave on the 5th, so depending on the hotel costs, I
guess I need funding of not more than 400 €.

oh, and before someone slams me: Of course I do not plan to sleep in a room for 100 € per night. :wink: I'd just like to have some reserve planned in without voting again, in case something is more expensive than planned. Normally, a decent hotel room should be doable for about 50-75 € per night.

Florian

It'd be fantastic to have you there; so I approve of course. It'd be
even more wonderful if we could have a talk on your sysadmining (or
other topic of your choice) here:

  http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Events/Fosdem2012

  We should finalize the proposals by Wed. to discuss on Thursday.

  Thanks :slight_smile:

    Michael.

Hi :slight_smile:
Blimey!!  Given the work you do here i hope the BoD is able to stump-up the extra 100 to save you the 8hours journey!!  It'd be more cost-effective to get you the shorter flight so that you are not worn out (at either end) by the trip!
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Tom,

Blimey!! Given the work you do here i hope the BoD is able to stump-up the extra 100 to save you the 8hours journey!! It'd be more cost-effective to get you the shorter flight so that you are not worn out (at either end) by the trip!

thanks for your kind words of support, much appreciated! :wink:

I do think that spending 300 € just for getting me there for a two day event is hard to justify, since the regular flight price the last years was about 120 €. After all, it was my fault being late with researching flights, and we have so many active people around the globe, so we should spend our money wisely.

However, thanks to a tip I've found a flight for 242 € that goes directly from Munich to Brussels, so if I can organize a cheap hotel room, that amount might be inside the range that could be justified.

Thanks again!

  It'd be fantastic to have you there; so I approve of course. It'd be

thanks! :wink:

even more wonderful if we could have a talk on your sysadmining (or
other topic of your choice) here:

  http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Events/Fosdem2012

  We should finalize the proposals by Wed. to discuss on Thursday.

I'm still not 100% sure if I can make it (depends on some other outstanding appointments this year), but if you have someone to replace me should I not make it, I'm happy to give an updated version of my LibOCon talk. :slight_smile: Added the proposal to http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Events/Fosdem2012

BTW, do we have our DevRoom on Saturday or Sunday? If on Sunday, I need a slot rather early, since I plan to leave around lunchtime to be home by the evening.

Florian

Well, I think your travel costs should be reimbursed in any case :slight_smile:

+1, of course

Florian Effenberger wrote:

I guess I need funding of not more than 400 €.

Would the BoD be willing to support this request?

+1

-- Thorsten

Hi,

Well, I think your travel costs should be reimbursed in any case:-)

thanks. :wink: Well, I found a way that could work for about 320 € incl. hotel. It involves eight hour train trips, but well, we all have to make sacrifices :slight_smile:

In order to be able to book, I need some more votes for my "up to 400 € funding request", so this can be agreed upon by the BoD. So anyone who hasn't voted yet, please do so. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Florian

+1

Sorry for the late vote.

Olivier

Hi,

Well, I think your travel costs should be reimbursed in any case:-)

thanks. :wink: Well, I found a way that could work for about 320 € incl.
hotel. It involves eight hour train trips, but well, we all have to make
sacrifices :slight_smile:

In order to be able to book, I need some more votes for my "up to 400 €
funding request", so this can be agreed upon by the BoD. So anyone who
hasn't voted yet, please do so. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Florian

- --
Olivier Hallot