dial-in from Brazil

Hello,

I heard from Olivier that a dial-in from Brazil is complicated, as for many Brazilians, it is an expensive long-distance call.

I've investigated options to get a number directly in Rio via our own Asterisk instance, but unfortunately, it would cost quite a lot to get the number and the incoming routing.

Can those having issues with dialing-in try using another service, like either SkypeOut, or the Google voice service? Chances are at least one of these works and resolves the problem.

Sorry for the inconveniences,
Florian

I heard from Olivier that a dial-in from Brazil is complicated, as
for many Brazilians, it is an expensive long-distance call.

The toll-free 0800-8912057 does not work?

I've investigated options to get a number directly in Rio via our
own Asterisk instance, but unfortunately, it would cost quite a lot
to get the number and the incoming routing.

didww.com sells a DID in Rio or Sao Paulo redirected to SIP or IAX2 or
Skype or Google Talk for 8,- USD/month. It is only two channels, that
may be the problem for us, not enough channels?

I have an Asterisk running on a well-connected (Europe, Amsterdam)
machine, I could offer the redirect "informally". That may or may not
be sufficient quality service.

Hi,

The toll-free 0800-8912057 does not work?

hm, where's this number from?

didww.com sells a DID in Rio or Sao Paulo redirected to SIP or IAX2 or
Skype or Google Talk for 8,- USD/month. It is only two channels, that
may be the problem for us, not enough channels?

Thanks for letting me know, didn't hear about them before!

There are two issues:

1. We don't get a SIP trunking to our conference provider. The only thing we can do is forward incoming calls to one of the available numbers. I wanted to setup our own Asterisk anyways, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, it will cost us fees per minute for the forwarding, since I am not aware of a flatrate for non-private use.

2. Our provider can connect a number in Rio for about 12 € per month, but it only allows two channels, like your proposal. That's the main issue.

So, I'd like to see first if Google Voice or some other service works. If not, we can book a number specifically for BoD and MC members from Brazil, but I prefer not to make it public, in order to not run into the two callers per number limitation. Even if we buy more numbers, we have a technical limit of two callers per number, so we would have to assign everyone an individual number to avoid "collision".

I have an Asterisk running on a well-connected (Europe, Amsterdam)
machine, I could offer the redirect "informally". That may or may not
be sufficient quality service.

Thanks for your offer! I plan to setup an Asterisk anyways, so the forwarding would be a good start for doing so. :slight_smile:

Florian

See also http://www.voiponshop.net/brazil, which I'm not a customer
of, so did not test their service. 6,50€/month.

I assumed that the BoD call uses the same system / numbers as the TSC
call; it seems this assumption is wrong.

Hi,

I assumed that the BoD call uses the same system / numbers as the TSC
call; it seems this assumption is wrong.

ah, that's what you were referring to. :slight_smile: No, it's a different system.

See alsohttp://www.voiponshop.net/brazil, which I'm not a customer
of, so did not test their service. 6,50€/month.

that indeed sounds like an option for one or two channels. Thanks for sharing!

I'll wait for Oliviers feedback, if SkypeOut or Google Voice works, and then we'll see what to do.

Florian