poll on regular BoD times

Hello,

it seems we didn't yet come up with a solution. Everyone voted (thanks for that!), and e.g. Wednesday 1600 UTC looks rather good, with 7 people joining and 2 possibly, giving a total of 9.

On the weekend, however, it looks rather bad. Neither Saturday nor Sunday has many people who could join a call. Please everyone check your availability again. With the current results, we could e.g. do Wednesday 1600 UTC and Friday 1500 UTC, but no "real" weekend call.

I am fine if we don't do one on the weekends, but wanted to give everyone a chance again in case two times in the evening is not desired.

The poll is at

  http://doodle.com/rqay5h7syg45by9x

Thanks, and have a nice Sunday,
Florian

Florian,

Hello,

it seems we didn't yet come up with a solution. Everyone voted (thanks
for that!), and e.g. Wednesday 1600 UTC looks rather good, with 7 people
joining and 2 possibly, giving a total of 9.

On the weekend, however, it looks rather bad. Neither Saturday nor
Sunday has many people who could join a call. Please everyone check your
availability again. With the current results, we could e.g. do Wednesday
1600 UTC and Friday 1500 UTC, but no "real" weekend call.

I am fine if we don't do one on the weekends, but wanted to give
everyone a chance again in case two times in the evening is not desired.

The poll is at

    http://doodle.com/rqay5h7syg45by9x

Thanks, and have a nice Sunday,
Florian

May I propose an alternative solution?
I was actually wondering if we would always need one call every week. We
had a year of "setup phase" and obviously we still have much work to do,
however, if we see things 6 months down the road maybe the BoD won't
have to gather that often and sometimes it's best to have one call every
two weeks with everyone available that short calls each week. I have no
strong opinion here, only a comment that the problem at hand might not
be a real problem.

Best,
Charles.

Hi :slight_smile:
+1
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

I agree on the call being every other week, especially if we are going
to have the strategic marketing call also every other week.

Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

I was actually wondering if we would always need one call every week.

Hi Flo, Charles - while I agree that a call every week may not be
necessary, I guess Florian's point was that *a single* date may well
not accomodate a set of people *constantly*. I thought the idea was
to have different sets of people to be slightly inconvenienced/not
able to attend alternatingly.

With that, I think both points are orthogonal. Yes, let's have less
frequent calls (maybe starting after the foundation is established),
and let's have *two* dates for the calls (unless the folks not able
to make Wednesday evenings can re-consider).

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Hi,

Hi Flo, Charles - while I agree that a call every week may not be
necessary, I guess Florian's point was that*a single* date may well
not accomodate a set of people*constantly*. I thought the idea was
to have different sets of people to be slightly inconvenienced/not
able to attend alternatingly.

With that, I think both points are orthogonal. Yes, let's have less
frequent calls (maybe starting after the foundation is established),
and let's have*two* dates for the calls (unless the folks not able
to make Wednesday evenings can re-consider).

I was indeed also thinking about having less frequent calls, but Thorsten's point is true as well:

Some people cannot make it during the week, others cannot make it during the weekend. So, I'd like to have one call Monday to Friday in the evenings (European time), and one Saturday or Sunday (preferably during the afternoon European time, but depends on the other time zones, of course), so at least everyone has a fair chance to join.

Since we also want to have again marketing calls, and there is also a TSC call, I don't want to bind people to their telephone too long and often. :wink:

How about the following? We decide, based on the poll, on one time during the week, and one during the weekend. Then we do calls the following way:

Week 1: during the week
Week 2: no call
Week 3: during the weekend
Week 4: no call

In case that in week #2 a call is needed, the same time as week #1 is used for this ad-hoc call. In case in week #4 a call is needed, the time of week #3 is used for this ad-hoc call.

That way, we have fixed times, people can plan their availability, but we only do a call every two weeks unless we need more.

Sounds reasonable?

Florian

Hello Florian,
Hello Florian,

Hi,

> Hi Flo, Charles - while I agree that a call every week may not be
> necessary, I guess Florian's point was that*a single* date may well
> not accomodate a set of people*constantly*. I thought the idea was
> to have different sets of people to be slightly inconvenienced/not
> able to attend alternatingly.
>
> With that, I think both points are orthogonal. Yes, let's have less
> frequent calls (maybe starting after the foundation is established),
> and let's have*two* dates for the calls (unless the folks not able
> to make Wednesday evenings can re-consider).

I was indeed also thinking about having less frequent calls, but
Thorsten's point is true as well:

Some people cannot make it during the week, others cannot make it
during the weekend. So, I'd like to have one call Monday to Friday in
the evenings (European time),

you mean late afternoon such as 5 or 6 pm?

[...]

Actually it does.

Best,
Charles.

Hi,

you mean late afternoon such as 5 or 6 pm?

for me, living in the European timezone and need to study and make money during the day, best would be around that time, yes. I guess this would benefit all those having regular dayjobs. (However, we need to take into account other time zones, of course.) Plus one at the weekend during the day.

Florian

it seems we didn't yet come up with a solution. Everyone voted (thanks
for that!), and e.g. Wednesday 1600 UTC looks rather good, with 7 people
joining and 2 possibly, giving a total of 9.

  Right.

On the weekend, however, it looks rather bad.

  Again - I don't believe using the weekend as an idea to get more people
into the call is a great idea :slight_smile: particularly if it means making the
time of the call erratic: with some long weeks Wed -> next Sat, and some
short Sat -> Wed (or whatever).

  So I'd really suggest a regular call, the same time every week, and if
we only take 30mins each time - that is of course fine. Somehow the TSC
call manages to take nearly 1hr nearly every week - though perhaps that
is bad time-keeping :wink:

I am fine if we don't do one on the weekends, but wanted to give
everyone a chance again in case two times in the evening is not desired.

  It seems the hardest people to get are Andreas and Charles -
Andreas/Charles: did you notice the 'orange' (-might-be-able-to) state ?
(I see you didn't use it).

  http://doodle.com/rqay5h7syg45by9x

  All the best,

    Michael.

Wow folks, that's weird. I had posted my schedule from my mobile and it
seems I missed lots of options... I'll fix it asap.

Best,
Charles.

Hi Michael, *,

> it seems we didn't yet come up with a solution. Everyone voted (thanks
> for that!), and e.g. Wednesday 1600 UTC looks rather good, with 7 people
> joining and 2 possibly, giving a total of 9.

  Right.

> On the weekend, however, it looks rather bad.

  Again - I don't believe using the weekend as an idea to get more people
into the call is a great idea :slight_smile: particularly if it means making the
time of the call erratic: with some long weeks Wed -> next Sat, and some
short Sat -> Wed (or whatever).

  So I'd really suggest a regular call, the same time every week, and if
we only take 30mins each time - that is of course fine. Somehow the TSC
call manages to take nearly 1hr nearly every week - though perhaps that
is bad time-keeping :wink:

> I am fine if we don't do one on the weekends, but wanted to give
> everyone a chance again in case two times in the evening is not desired.

  It seems the hardest people to get are Andreas and Charles -
Andreas/Charles: did you notice the 'orange' (-might-be-able-to) state ?
(I see you didn't use it).

> http://doodle.com/rqay5h7syg45by9x

I know the "might-be-able-to" and made two changes to my doodle-entry. I don't know,
if I can make it for every call at 5pm, but I try.

Regards,
Andreas

Hi,

ok, that sounds senseful. So, let's do the following: I'll wait some more days and see what the poll will look like then. Depending on that, we decide whether to have the same time for every call, or one call during the week, the other at the weekend.

Apart from that, I would indeed propose a two week approach, just reserving time slots for the weeks in between. We can still change that if needed, e.g. to what Michael suggested (every week, but only 30 mins).

ok, that sounds senseful. So, let's do the following: I'll wait some
more days and see what the poll will look like then. Depending on that,
we decide whether to have the same time for every call, or one call
during the week, the other at the weekend.

Apart from that, I would indeed propose a two week approach, just
reserving time slots for the weeks in between. We can still change that
if needed, e.g. to what Michael suggested (every week, but only 30 mins).

I'll close the poll this Friday, so cast or edit your vote until then. The link, again, is

  http://www.doodle.com/rqay5h7syg45by9x

Thanks,

I'll close the poll this Friday, so cast or edit your vote until then.
The link, again, is

http://www.doodle.com/rqay5h7syg45by9x

last orders, please - will close the poll in a few hours. :wink:

Florian

Hello Florian,

Hello,

I'll close the poll this Friday, so cast or edit your vote until then.

The link, again, is

http://www.doodle.com/**rqay5h7syg45by9x<http://www.doodle.com/rqay5h7syg45by9x>

looking at the poll, the following times seem to be ideal:

- Monday or Wednesday 1700 UTC (9 OK)
- Monday or Wednesday 1600 UTC (7 OK, 3 if necessary)

First conclusion: We should only plan for one time during the week, since
the weekend proposals are not possible for as many people as the proposals
during the week. Plus, we all deserve a free weekend. :wink:

Second conclusion: While at the 1700 UTC time slot, it would be OK instead
of "if necessary" for more people, for the BoD without deputies, the
timeslot at 1600 UTC is more convenient, plus in total more people in total
can participate.

My proposal therefore is:

We host the calls every other week (i.e. every two weeks), Wednesday, 1600
UTC.

For the weeks without calls, we reserve the time slot, in case we need an
ad-hoc call.

Does this sound good to everyone?

It does to me. Just to put in in one sentence:
BoD calls on Wednesday every 2 weeks at 16:00 UTC; we can have more
frequent calls if needed at the same schedule or have other calls on that
schedule.

Best,

Charles.

+1
Regards

Good for me, with the additional note from Charles.

Hello,

so, I am happy to announce, that:

The TDF BoD calls will take place every 2nd Wednesday at 1600 UTC, starting on November 16th, 2011, and are scheduled to run for one hour. Most calls will be public, but according to our Bylaws, there might be private calls as well. Their contents will be, in accordance with our Bylaws, be made public as soon as and when possible.

For every other week, i.e. on those Wednesdays when no calls are scheduled, we reserve the time slot for ad-hoc calls if they are needed. For urgent matters, ad-hoc calls can of course take place also on other days.

As usual, for the public calls, we welcome questions and comments from the audience, everyone who dials in can speak directly.

In order to help running the calls, please add your agenda items in advance to the public wiki, where also the dial-in details can be found. The appropriate page is:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/BoD_Meetings

I volunteer for moderating those calls. For every call, we need to appoint someone who is taking notes. Those notes will be published in the wiki.

Looking forward to hearing you soon!

Florian