Re: [board-discuss] Fwd: Liaison between LO and Calligra project

Michiel Leenaars wrote:
... but to have a tenacious bulldog appointed within these
projects that makes sure that progress is made even if people are
swamped.

Hi Michiel,

sorry, that's not gonna fly here. Participants in this project are
often self-directed and volunteers, or employees of companies with
very individual priorities & schedules. Having a liaison person that
cannot command resources is then rather pointless.

From where I stand (and I'm not part of any specific project) there
are a number of interoperability issues at your end still open I
think, although probably people within TDF are already working on
these.

If you, or someone else, has such a list, would be cool to have it
filed properly in bugzilla & maybe some meta-issue to track.

Even though ODF as a document format has plenty of traction, some
specific parts such as ODF's 3D objects stand less of a chance to
make it as the dominant standard in this area (given that there
are far better and more widely used standards for 3D). In order to
make the experience better for everyone and make at least the
content portable/visible to other (less complete) implementations
I think that should be made more robust by making sure there are
standards based fallbacks (in SVG, PNG) for any such parts.

Here seems to be some incoherence in your argument (that was
previously asking LibO to fill ODF consumer bugs by completing the
implementation), and then you also suggest we fix things that are
shortcomings in other applications.

Beyond that, while I sympathize with the idea to have a public face
for odf, in practice I prefer less formal roles over more titles. So
for all the other ODF processing project participants that I haven't
chatted with yet, feel free to mention my name as a potential
initial point of contact (or anybody else who'd like to volunteer
here). Even better, encourage them to mail
libreoffice@lists.freedesktop.org with a rough patch, and/or the
willingness to contribute to the solution. :)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten