Re: [board-discuss] Fwd: Liaison between LO and Calligra project

Hi Thorsten,

indeed, as you say so far discussion among the projects has been solved informally (actually my mail to Italo was rather informal as well). I think the members of the TC and the people that attend the plugfests do already carry that liaison role, but (like yourself) they are very busy people. And I would much rather have these people spend their time on writing specifications if the issues are already specified but just have implementation issues. That is not to say that I want you or anybody else to stop doing what comes informally and naturally (certainly not), but to have a tenacious bulldog appointed within these projects that makes sure that progress is made even if people are swamped.

From where I stand (and I'm not part of any specific project) there are a number of interoperability issues at your end still open I think, although probably people within TDF are already working on these. Notably this includes the use of (legacy) SVM wrappers instead of native alternative ODF frames and the lack of support for frame alternatives and clarification of the range selection of clipboard content (the issue that was raised by Gnumeric in August, as you may recall). Also probably some other forward looking capabilities which provide answers to common interoperability issues - like RDF and SVG support, as well as font inclusion - deserve some attention as well. Even though ODF as a document format has plenty of traction, some specific parts such as ODF's 3D objects stand less of a chance to make it as the dominant standard in this area (given that there are far better and more widely used standards for 3D). In order to make the experience better for everyone and make at least the content portable/visible to other (less complete) implementations I think that should be made more robust by making sure there are standards based fallbacks (in SVG, PNG) for any such parts. Those are the kinds of things I would envision the liaisons to discuss.

For people outside the project it is often not transparent who is responsible for what in other projects. Rather than asking people to just file a bug report, it would be good to have a named person in the project that is 'responsible' for this and that has regular contact. That is why I proposed to name a liaison - so there is an acknowledged channel to discuss practical areas of improvement. But of course it is just a suggestion.

Best,
Michiel