RE: [board-discuss] Membership Committee

I am not questioning the prerogatives of the TDF to govern itself in any
manner. Norbert is correct that I have no standing in the matter.

I was simply surprised that it came up here and Drew felt he had to address
it.  I don't question his doing so and how deliberate he is being about it.

The AOOo project has committers and PPMC members who are also contributors to
LO. I know because I see their work in both places.  No one has ever
questioned that at ASF.  Not once.

However, I think Norbert's reply, below, is ample demonstration of the
polarization that individuals bring to these conversations.  It is not just
AOOo members who say outrageous things.  Of course, our own outrageous things
are always the truth, and therefore admirable, aren't they?

Norbert, you can make my note mean whatever you want. I stand by it as
written.

Also, I said that there are conditions on participation in various ways.  It
is true here, and it is true at ASF.  ASF has a license requirement, TDF has a
license requirement, there are ways one becomes a committer on Apache
projects, there are ways committer rights are granted for LO, etc.  Apache has
a license grant requirement, the iCLA, that, here, is handled by an e-mail
message.  ASF provides assurance of the code it releases in its way, the TDF
has it in its way.

I am not arguing the merits of any approach.  Every open-source project has
its conditions for operation and participation.  Developers will contribute
where it is comfortable and inviting for them.  Not all developers are the
same in the choices they make.

How ASF members are elected and how the ASF board operates is all available
on-line and I am not going to go into it.

One more thing.  I have found folks on ooo-dev who are cynical about the
honesty and character of TDF members, too, but nothing so blatantly virulent
as was just inserted here.  I believe it is accurate to say that none of those
statements are policy positions of the respective organizations.  When they
happen at AOOo I ignore them as trolling or, if there is a policy-unacceptable
action being proposed, I challenge them as inconsistent and unacceptable.

 - Dennis E. Hamilton
   tools for document interoperability,  <http://nfoWorks.org/>
   dennis.hamilton@acm.org  gsm: +1-206-779-9430  @orcmid