RE: [board-discuss] Membership Committee

It is none of my business how TDF establishes its governance and qualifies its officials.

Just the same, I thought it strange that there was a question of any conflict seen in Drew Jensen's
participation on Apache projects.

I want to say two things, because I have Drew in high regard and I want to be clear about where he
stands in my perspective and also my sense of the ASF philosophy and policies.

First about the ASF.  The Apache Software Foundation celebrates diversity and multiplicity in the
world of open-source development.  It is a matter of policy that forks, peers, siblings,
descendents and ancestors are all just fine, open-, close-, and licensed in any manner.  Apache has
its own licensing regime and development approach, but it has no issue with the preferences of
other projects.

Now, some individuals have their personal histories, hurts, mistakes, and grievances, whatever they
happen to be.  But that is irrelevant to where ASF fulfills its charter to operation in the public
interest.  The ASF has no issue with whatever associations its contributors have beyond their
contribution to Apache projects.

Individuals have differences and choose to go their own way, to return, to diverge, to scratch
their own itches in whatever manner works for them. I say ASF honors all of that.

Secondly, I want to acknowledge Drew for his steady presence, especially in some timely moments in
the run-up to the migration of the OpenOffice.org Forums under Apache hosting.  Whatever Drew
chooses to do, and whether he finds continued participation on AOOo inconsistent with that or not,
I want it known that Drew is always welcome at AOOo, as is anyone else here, and he can come and go
as he pleases with all of our blessings and thanks.  There are no recriminations, there is no
litmus test, and Drew will always be welcome to contribute in any manner he chooses.

'Nuff said?