Re: [board-discuss] Membership Committee

Howdy Micheal, et al,

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 16:59 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
Hi Drew,

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 10:57 -0400, drew wrote:
<snip>
It was my intent to run for a seat on the MC, it is my understanding now
that the elections will be moved to next year (the reasons seem quite
reasonable IM).

      Oh - sorry that was a spoke in your wheels. Hopefully that'll get fixed
in a few more (hectic) months.

as I said, the rational for the change makes sense to me.

If I understand correctly there is however one slot currently not
filled, for a generic deputy. If this is correct then I would like to
offer my services for this position.

      That's right. Of course, the board will need to approve the lucky
(haha) candidates in due course ;-) You have my vote - based on the
great work I've seen you doing.

Thanks

      Having said that - we've sounded out previous appointees more
informally beforehand, which is perhaps harder here. Clearly this is a
responsible role, and part of our formal governance. As such, some may
have queries about your involvement with the Apache project, it'd be
helpful to know what your plans are there.

Huh, it never crossed my mind that this would come up...ok, reality.

Well, my plans - truthfully I'm not sure how my activity will
progressive within the Apache OpenOffice poddling. Presently I'm not
really doing anything there, my intent is to help out some with support
and QA tasks - if I can incorporate that into my schedule in such a way
that my efforts are useful I'll continue and if not quietly remove
myself from the project management committee.

Surely I could expand on my ideas of the two projects but am not at all
certain that would add much to the decision process here - I will add
just this, I don't feel that I would have any problem compartmentalizing
my activities between the two projects and should it arise that there is
some conflict would quickly take steps to resolve it, as needed.

If there are any other concerns on this point please, anyone, feel free
to ask and I will take the time to address them as best I can.

 Similarly, it'd be nice to
know your thoughts on the membership committee's role, criteria for
membership etc. in the bylaws. If you'd feel happier sharing that
privately - feel free, and I'll make sure it gets to the board.

<snip>

(In the sniped paragraph) You use the term "administrative task" and I
would say that this particular role is and should be best described by
just such wording. In my understanding of the by-laws as written the
goal of the membership committee is first and foremost to ensure that a
fair and sensible measure is applied during the decision process
regarding an individual's meritocratic contributions to the foundation's
activities.

I believe that I bring a number of personal attributes that fit quite
well to such a task.

A good general understanding of all the processes that go into growing
and maintaining our community and our projects/products.

A good working relationship with many of the individuals that make up
the foundation, both the official membership and our broader group of
supports.

The above will help to expeditiously process the applications.

Finally - IMO I also bring a good sensibility to such a task, meaning
that while I have no problem making my own decisions I try not to be
dogmatic, remaining open and receptive to input from the other people
involved on tasks.

Once again if there are any questions from anyone else please do not
hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Drew Jensen