Re: [steering-discuss] freezing membership applications

Hi,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:35:20 +0000
Von: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com>

On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 10:34 +0100, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
Not really - it's 3 weeks from candidate introduction to end of
election, compared to 2 weeks for the usual MC meeting cadence.

      Except we just had another election that also froze the membership ;-)
did we re-open that in between & approve any more members ? if so,
perhaps there are fewer problems ...

MC is going to have a meeting this evening (frindly reminder to all MC
members ;) ) where we process outstanding applications (and it will be
the first time to process renewals btw.)

... - but I for one don't like this "shut
for business" attitude. The timestamps mean there is no problem wrt.
working out who the electorate are - surely ...

as written in my mail for the proposed schedule:

In any case the MC should have a spezial meeting to process
applications one or two days before the date when the process is
frozen (or snapshot is taken).

So - we would very likely skip just one MC meeting, meaning a delay
of additional two weeks. What is not a big problem (imho), but (again
imho) it's not a big problem to continue MC's operation, as there
is no distrust in the current MC.

After all - what is more important is a decision *if* we actually will
have elections before the foundations inauguration or if we schedule
this for next year, starting with an appointed MC. Given that the
propsed schedule starts on Nov. 4th, this is quite urgent.

I'll suggest, we (MC) use the today's MC meeting to come up with a
proposal for Thorsten's sucessor and two deputies. We then send our
proposal to the board list and the board can decide how to proceed.

Best,

André