Re: [steering-discuss] Board of Directors Candidacy: Caolán McNamara

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 17:11 +0300, David Nelson wrote:
I would like to ask whether you would be willing to make a commitment
for a term of office on the BoD.

Sure.

I am certain that you will assure us that you support openness of the
source code of LibreOffice.

Sure, apple pie and motherhood too.

But I would like to put it to you that no software source code is
truly open until it has been rendered as understandable as possible to
as many people as possible.

err, sure, it would be nice to have source code as understandable as
possible. It might be a bit of a stretch to conclude that it's not open if
developer documentation is somewhat on the slight side.

The solution of interested individuals gleaning knowledge by lurking
and asking questions on IRC is not an effective and community-oriented
method of sharing knowledge.

*shrug*, most questions are asked and answered on the mailing list,
where they can be archived so they don't have to be asked again. irc
tends towards more real time chat on specific "right now" problems
rather than a stomping ground for discussing anything indepth.

Would you be willing to commit yourself to actively work ... on
developing global design documentation

No. I couldn't make such a commitment.

I am thinking of something along the lines of:

Please may I ask your thoughts about this idea and whether you would
explicitly agree to be part of it?

Well, here's what I *have* written, "lazy uno hackers guide to porting",
"default paper size selection", various bits of
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/FAQ
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/String_Classes and bits
and pieces like that. Generally stuff which gets asked of me a lot so
its less time to write it up once than repeat it on every question, or
stuff that was sufficiently difficult that I know I won't remember it
in a few weeks time.

Personally, I reckon developers hate "wrong documentation" more than
they hate no documentation. I mean, they would be compelled by their
natures to *fix* incorrect documentation far more than they could be
motivated to write correct documentation in the first place ;-)

C.

As an aside, I think we can somewhat lower the barrier to entry a good
bit here and there by removing the necessity for specific LibreOffice
documentation, e.g. there's great work underway with the various
macro-based list things to replace them with stl, so necessity to
document libreoffice-specific code goes away when its the same stuff as
found in any standard reference manual.