Re: [steering-discuss] Candidacy for Board: Michael Meeks

Hi Tom,

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 18:02 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:
One of the top priorities for the Documentation Team right now
is a guide to help people that want to start programming for
LibreOffice.

        Cool ! :-) and of course, it's something that can be dead useful.

There is already a good one for Extensions

        Right - and of course, we'd prefer people to write code that can be
integrated into the core cleanly, and have code sharing between
different implementations (it's easier to hack that up, debug it, and
deploy it too FWIW).

At the moment the Docs Team can only point to
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation#Other_Documentation_and_Resources

        I like the collection; it'd be great to excerpt / re-write some more
functionally focused flows for the things we know happen lots:

        "How to add a new language"
        "How to add a new translation"

        But of course many things are simply not documented at all; and worse
most of the existing docs are *heavily* UNO focused, which is (IMHO) a
big mistake.

        Anyhow - there were some starter tasks I mentioned to David, when
they're done - lets have a call & brainstorm on what more can be done,
and how best to do it; will you be in Paris to discuss ?

        I suspect there is enough out there to dig out and re-hash in a helpful
way. As an example if we systematically discard anything that talks
about UNO - and condense what little is left (code structure diagrams /
functional descriptions etc.) I think we might end up with something
quite useful for new core hackers: or at least a nucleus to work from.

        Thanks,

                Michael.