Re: [steering-discuss] Candidacy for Board: Michael Meeks

Hi Cor,

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Cor Nouws <oolst@nouenoff.nl> wrote:
I see no link between the role of the BOD and individual members making
commitments to certain day to day tasks.
Is there something why I should, in your opinion?

I don't see anything incongruous about asking a candidate in the Board
of Directors election about what commitments he might be willing to
take on if elected. In fact, what else are you supposed to ask of
candidates?

When I directed some people new on LibreOffice hacking to the various
developer wiki pages, they were positively surprised.

Surprised? Or do you mean shocked and amazed at how little developer
documentation there is about a major software project that has been
developed for so many years? :-D

I'm quite surprised you seem equate the very little content on the
wiki to a useful provision of design documentation. In fact, there is
little more than basic tips and instructions about compiling the code
and a few other related issues. There is also a very small amount of
API documentation at http://docs.libreoffice.org.

I'm sure you'll agree that there is absolutely no design documentation
of the kind I'm discussing (see [1]). There would be many advantages
to developing some.

I am putting this question before Michael, Thorsten and Caolan
because, AFAIK, they are full-time, senior project members (sponsored
by Novell, Suse and Red Hat, if I'm not mistaken), who most certainly
have the greatest knowledge about LibreOffice's design and code base.

They are the ideal people to work on design documentation, and I'm
volunteering to work hard alongside them (without any suggestion of
payment or sponsorship).

It would be a major contribution and example to the community if they
were willing to provide some time and expertise for this.

I don't think I need to repeat the multiple other reasons why I think
it's worth devoting some time and effort to this initiative, so I'll
sit back and wait to see what answers might be forthcoming from the
three BoD candidates I was originally addressing. ;-)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_design_document

--
David Nelson