Re: [steering-discuss] Base - a new mailing list?

Hi :)
Base does support a lot of different back-ends but it needs to have a default one.  The current
default seems to be quite troublesome so people are often told to use something else such
PostGreSql or MariaDb / MySql.

MariaDb is the same as MySql except that it is developing fast and has almost all the MySql
community including the original developers.  The community were even more unhappy with being under
Oracle than they were under Sun so they forked off and formed a new organisation so that they could
push through a large number of bug-fixes and developments that Sun / Oracle had been blocking for
years.  I did mention this earlier in this thread but i know it's difficult to keep track of issues
like that when this list is not focused on Base so i guess i have to mention it again.  MySql is in
roughly the same state as OOo before Apache got involved.  MariaDb is a drop-in replacement with a
much stronger future.

Clearly people on this list don't know much about usign Base.  When you open Base the first thing
it asks is which back-end you would like to use and there is a drop-down that includes the various
back-ends mentioned and more but has a default of HqSql.  Again i guess it's something that people
on this list might not be aware of so it's a opint that will probably have to be mentioned several
times in the course of any discussion about Base in this or any of the other existing lists.

If the PostGreSql people could be encouraged to send some devs to work on Base then that would be a
huge help and would greatly help tighter integration with that particular back-end.  It would be
nice to include other people that are interested in working on various aspects of Base, eg
doumentation, devs, maybe design etc but not all those people are on this list.

Perhaps one way would be to cross-post any discussion about Base so that all the lists got any post
about Base?  That would neatly avoid having to set-up a new list and still reach the various
different people :)

Regards from
Tom :)