[steering-discuss] Certification of end-user skills

Background

As many will know we have been working on FOSS friendly qualifications for
end-users for several years now through the INGOT project. The
qualifications and associated certificates are differentiated across 6
levels covering all software applications from complete beginner to
university entrance level. The assessment criteria are generic and based on
the UK National Standards referenced to the European Qualifications
Framework. Further, the assessment is backed by a comprehensive (Drupal +
LAMP) on-line system for managing submission of evidence, moderation,
progress tracking, reporting and authentication of certificates.

We have been invited by the OpenOffice.org certification project to work in
partnership with them to support a large corporate training company in
providing certification of user skills in OpenOffice.org. This is simply a
matter of contextualising the assessments with evidence drawn from OOo or
products derived from that code base. The assessment criteria are no
different from those used for any office products but the evidence has to be
provided using OOo, LibO or other OOo based applications. In this sense
changes to OOo or LibO are unlikely to have a material effect on the
certification and that is a deliberate design strategy in the UK national
frameworks. You don't want to have to potentially change things on every new
release.

The specific proposal is to use the LibO logo on end user certificates and
the LibreOffice name and logo on the handbook with full acknowledgement of
trade marks etc. There will be a payment back to the community for each
certificate issued carrying a LibO logo - I can't be precise at the moment
as we are still working out costs but it is likely to be around 50 cents to
a dollar per certificate. We are trying to keep costs down to get maximum
reach to less economically advantaged nations. High volume will make the
marketing dimension more effective but we also have to cover hosting,
quality assurance and other costs.

I don't really know where LibO certification fits into this. It might not
and if so there is no harm done, we can just carry on as before. I just
thought this might be an opportunity for something that could be a joint
OOo/LibO activity and a means of raising brand awareness for LibO. Since I
fly to Ecuador with Manfred Reiter from Frankfurt in about 1.5 weeks and the
handbook is currently being translated into Spanish by Alexandro Colorado,
it would be helpful to have an answer as soon as possible. If anyone wants a
copy of the draft handbook I can send it. We aim to make it available from
Lulu in paper form, as an e-book, as a downloadable pdf and in web pages
translated into multiple languages.

Hello.

I make mine your issues. We have the same felling in Brazil. Can you provide
a copy of your handbook in order the Brazilian Doc Team to translate it to
Portuguese? Obviously, any issue concerning to certification should wait
until the BoD be elected and begin to deliberate on that. But I really wish
to know the contents of this handbook earlier and discuss them with the
Brazilian community.

Best Regards.

Hi,
I agree with all the views of colleagues, but I think it's past time to have
a center of excellence in Training LibreOffice in Brazil, which provides
certifications and material to users.The same center could sell propagating
material and product marketing.

Clóvis

Hello Ian,

While I do not know how well TDF certification fits with respect to your
project (I suspect there's some overlap but there are also lots of
differences in terms of audience and purpose) I think it would be a good
idea for you to use the LibreOffice logo , as it can only benefit TDF,
LibreOffice and your company. My only conditions would of course be no
exclusivity (i.e the respective parties are not tied in any sort of
exclusive agreement) and that it does not preclude any future
certification of our own.

Best,
Charles.

Hi Ian,

Are you planning to use both LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice logos on your material ?

Best,

Jomar

That's what I understood, but I may be wrong. Ian?

Best,
Charles.

Yes, both on handbook, training materials etc (need to edit the current hand
book draft as it only refers to ooo at present.) For certs either libo or
ooo depending on the user context. Any specific community requirements, we
will respect.

Ian
www.theingots.org

That's what I understood, but I may be wrong. Ian?

Best,
Charles.

Hi Ian,

Are you planning to use both LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice logos on

your material...

Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to
steering-discuss+help@documentfoundation.org
Problems? http://ww

Hi,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Von: "Charles-H. Schulz" <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org>

While I do not know how well TDF certification fits with respect to your
project (I suspect there's some overlap but there are also lots of
differences in terms of audience and purpose) I think it would be a good
idea for you to use the LibreOffice logo , as it can only benefit TDF,
LibreOffice and your company. My only conditions would of course be no
exclusivity (i.e the respective parties are not tied in any sort of
exclusive agreement) and that it does not preclude any future
certification of our own.

I second that.

Just to add: the LibreOffice-Logo without TDF tag line should be used.

regards,

André

Ok, no problem, that is what we intended. We have had internet problems at
the hotel so I only have my phone. Tomorrow I can make a better reply. I had
a meeting with Manfred Reiter this morning about further EU project grant
applications so we hope that tdf people can become involved. But more
tomorrow.

Ian
www.theingots.org

Hi,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Von: "Charles-H. Schulz" <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org>

While I do not know how well TDF certification fits with respect to your
project (I suspect ...

I second that.

Just to add: the LibreOffice-Logo without TDF tag line should be used.

regards,

André

Hi :slight_smile:
Fantastic :slight_smile: I think i only read the bad parts of Charles' post & completely
missed the good. Great to hear it's beginning to click into place :slight_smile:
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

The bad parts? :slight_smile:

Best,
Charles.

Hi :slight_smile:
Fantastic :slight_smile: I think i only read the bad parts of Charles' post &

completely

missed the good. Great to hear it's beginning to click into place :slight_smile:
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

________________________________
Ok, no problem, that is what we intended.

<snip />

Ian
Sent from my Android Smartphone.
www.theingots.org

Hi,

<snip />

Just to add: the LibreOffice-Logo without TDF tag line should be used.

regards,

André

List archive:

http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/steering-discuss/

deleted

Hi :slight_smile:
"Bad" was not really the right word. "Negative" would have been more apt.
Anyway the point is that i mis-read the email and failed to see the positives.
Written communication is sometimes limited because it it lacks 90% of what you
get from face-to-face. On the other hand it neatly gets around a lot of
prejudices so on balance it usually works quite well.

I think we all want LibreOffice to get out there as much as possible and to have
good support structures, if that's reasonably easily possible. This and other
training programmes seem an excellent way to achieve that.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
"Bad" was not really the right word. "Negative" would have been more apt.
Anyway the point is that i mis-read the email and failed to see the
positives.
Written communication is sometimes limited because it it lacks 90% of what
you
get from face-to-face. On the other hand it neatly gets around a lot of
prejudices so on balance it usually works quite well.

I think we all want LibreOffice to get out there as much as possible and to
have
good support structures, if that's reasonably easily possible. This and
other
training programmes seem an excellent way to achieve that.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi all, I'm back from sunny Granada to cool and Cloudy Birmingham :slight_smile:

Here is a link to a page with a scan of a certificate with an OOo logo. This
would be replaced by a LibO logo for candidates who are LibO users. The
certificate is in Word Processing - our emphasis is on WP skills rather than
specific "button pressing" in particular products - however, the logo
denotes the context in which those skills were developed and assessed.

The draft handbook for assessors can be downloaded from the Link below the
certificate image.

If there is anything anyone is unhappy about with wording etc please let me
know asap as the handbook is currently being translated into Spanish and we
will need to use it next week. We can always release an updated version
later though. We will be using Lulu for paper publishing and ebooks, pdf,
odt and web pages for digital versions. All Creative Commons licensed so
anyone can customise to their own particular needs. Probably we will produce
multiple language versions using EU grant funding.

________________________________

Oops forgot the link!
Its here

https://theingots.org/community/OOoCert

Hi André, all

Hi,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Von: "Charles-H. Schulz" <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org>
> While I do not know how well TDF certification fits with respect to your
> project (I suspect there's some overlap but there are also lots of
> differences in terms of audience and purpose) I think it would be a good
> idea for you to use the LibreOffice logo , as it can only benefit TDF,
> LibreOffice and your company. My only conditions would of course be no
> exclusivity (i.e the respective parties are not tied in any sort of
> exclusive agreement) and that it does not preclude any future
> certification of our own.

I second that.

Just to add: the LibreOffice-Logo without TDF tag line should be used.

thank you very much for your support.
I think it will be in the interest of both. :wink:

BTW: Andre would you be so kind to
send me a PM with your phone, I'd like to
call you asap.

Manfred