[steering-discuss] LinuxCon Europe

My speech at the LinuxCon Europe (Prague, end of October) about The
Document Foundation and LibreOffice has been accepted.

I have already registered, and I have also found a very convenient
flight/hotel combo, but I need to get a reimbursement from TDF as I am
not able to cover the expenses with my personal money (and I am not
covered by a company paying for my expenses).

Including food, I will spend a maximum of 300 Euro. I am asking the
Steering Committee to approve this reimbursement.

Thanks, Italo

Hi Italo,

thanks for your engagement!

Including food, I will spend a maximum of 300 Euro. I am asking the
Steering Committee to approve this reimbursement.

Given that we can pay this from SPI (paying from FrODeV is a bit problematic when it comes to travel costs and foreign countries, due to tax regulations) - +1 from my side.

The only point we should talk about is "food" - as a general rule, normally reimbursements should only contain hotel and transportation, but no food. TDF has no rules yet on this, but maybe we should limit it to that?

Florian

That's an odd rule. A reimbursement for a guest or for an emissary should include Travel, Accommodation and Living. The only place in recent memory that has told me it does not pay for Living is TDF.

S.

Paying for everything is clearly the ideal. The current financial
reality is that we need to stretch and apply our resources quite
carefully I think. Most of us eat at home too :wink:

  Hopefully when we have an actual entity, and a consolidated financial
position, and a real budget, and ongoing fundraising etc. we can do
better ...

  ATB,

    Michael.

In this case, food is supposed to cover the Gala Dinner at the
Conference, as the Speaker Package does not cover it (while it covers
food during the conference). Of course, I can skip the Gala Dinner.

True, I can ask Kendy for support :wink:

Indeed, even the Tax-Man acknowledge that 'reasonable' meal
re-reimbursement - during a remote mission - are tax-deductible (i.e.
are not a 'compensation in kind').
Surely it is more a matter of 'reasonableness' and 'frugality' rather
than a question of principle.

Norbert

Hi,

Indeed, even the Tax-Man acknowledge that 'reasonable' meal
re-reimbursement - during a remote mission - are tax-deductible (i.e.
are not a 'compensation in kind').
Surely it is more a matter of 'reasonableness' and 'frugality' rather
than a question of principle.

whew, my thoughts caused some discussion. :wink:

Well, I guess it's no secret that being without a fixed job at the moment, I am *very* much in favor of a good and friendly reimbursement rule. I had to stay at home myself from many events this year due to the lack of funding, so I know those pains a lot. :slight_smile:

I am no tax expert, but Norbert is right, there indeed is a rule of some "senseful" reimbursement - if you have a breakfast for 5 € or 10 € in a hotel, that should work, if you have a breakfast for 30 €, the tax deparment will not accept it, I guess. This can cause troubles not only for the paying entity, but also for the paid person.

So, I surely don't vetoe if we cover some basic costs (eating on the road is much more expensive than at home) - but we should check with SPI as the paying entity first what they allow. For TDF rules, let's discuss them when TDF exists and we know some tax regulations for it.

Florian

Hi :slight_smile:
+1
For meetings, conferences, training days and stuff like that we would often have
an amount for "refreshments". In "End of Year Accounts" or "Financial
Statements" for SMBs (Small-Medium sized Business) there is often be an item
labelled "Refreshments" buried in "Other Expenses". Is food not allowed in
organisations registered in Germany? It would be a shame because you have great
stuff over there.

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi,

labelled "Refreshments" buried in "Other Expenses". Is food not allowed in
organisations registered in Germany? It would be a shame because you have great
stuff over there.

I don't know the exact details, but the example with the breakfast IMHO is valid - if the breakfast in a hotel exceeds a certain value (something between 5 and 15 €), then the recipient of the travel funding has to pay taxes for it. Yep...

Florian

OK for the EUR 300.

+1

Charles.

OK for the EUR 300.

--
Italo Vignoli
italo.vignoli@gmail.com

deleted

--
Olivier Hallot
Founder and Steering Commitee Member

List archive:

http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/steering-discuss/

deleted

Hi Italo,

My speech at the LinuxCon Europe (Prague, end of October) about The
Document Foundation and LibreOffice has been accepted.

I have already registered, and I have also found a very convenient
flight/hotel combo, but I need to get a reimbursement from TDF as I am
not able to cover the expenses with my personal money (and I am not
covered by a company paying for my expenses).

Including food, I will spend a maximum of 300 Euro. I am asking the
Steering Committee to approve this reimbursement.

+1 and I'll take care of the SPI side.

Kind regards
Sophie

Thanks a lot, Sophie! Sorry for having to route that through SPI, but German tax law is a bit complicated for associations :wink:

Hi Sophie, if necessary I can produce a regular invoice for the amount,
instead of having it reimbursed as an individual.

Thanks Italo, I'll check tomorrow what is necessary in that case, but
from what I remember, regular invoice was not necessary.
Kind regards
Sophie