[steering-discuss] Proposal: how to use the GSoC money

Hi there,

with GSoC 2011 nearing its end, it's the time of invoicing Google
for the organisation money donations, and the mentor summit travel
reimbursements.

Since we're an accepted SPI subproject, it's easiest to route the
money that way (SPI is a registered vendor at Google).

There are a few nice conventions on how to spend this money, and I'd
like to make the formal proposal to keep them also here with TDF:

 * google pays travel for two gsoc mentors, to attend the mentor
   summit in october. conventionally, the org admins go there,
   mingle with the other orgs' admins, and conspire to make GSoC
   even better next year. note that this part of the google donation
   is earmarked for specifically this travel (google wants to see
   ticket invoices separately)
 * google pays $500 per student to the mentoring organizations; in
   past years, we've used that money (in part) to pay travel
   stipends for successful students, to attend the conference.

Proposal:
 * accept GSoC money through SPI
 * reimburse Fridrich and Cedric for their travel to the mentor
   summit
 * offer travel stipends to successful students, for the LibOCon
 * cap above expenses at $5000 (the amount we receive from Google) -
   or slightly less, does SPI charge us something for handling the
   money?

Let's discuss and (if possible) approve this on this Saturday's SC
call.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten