[steering-discuss] List discussion & purpose

Hi Florian,

I think it has been discussed in public rather often that there is a private
list where all the steering committee members are on, and that there are
private phone calls sometimes.

We never planned to have things in secret, so sorry if that impression has
grown.

Perhaps it would be good to list the private mailing lists existing,
so that interested people can send a request to a relevant human being
for a subscription. Otherwise, some people might never learn that they
even exist.

After discussion threads on private MLs and after private calls held
by the SC and/or relevant project teams (such as the sysadmins),
perhaps it might be a solution to publish an advisory on the
tdf-discuss list explaining as much as possible about the subject of
the call/thread, and as much as possible about the results of the
discussions? That way, at least people would be informed that they
have taken place, rather than the community possible being totally
unaware of such communication.

Hi,

<snip>

I think it has been discussed in public rather often that there is a
private list where all the steering committee members are on, and that there
are private phone calls sometimes.

We never planned to have things in secret, so sorry if that impression has
grown.

Florian

Hi Florian,

I understand that. My feeling is that things are becoming clearer and
clearer, and this discussion is very healthy =)

I'm not saying that there are things done in secret. I am just trying to say
that, if some privacy is needed (and I do agree with that), at least the
access to the private discussions should have some rules. First to give
access to the issue's stakeholders. Second to remain private despite the
free access for stakeholders. Maybe access should be given for a limited
time, based in threads, or whatever. I'm not sure if I'm making myself
clear, am I?

Sorry, if not. =)

Hello David,

Afaict I list the following ones:
SC private
AB private
Web infrastructure
Security
Marketing private (for pr drafting and readiness)

As I am personally not subscribed to all of them I might have missed one or
taken one as private while it is public.

Best,
Charles.

--
David Nelson

List archive:

http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/steering-discuss/

deleted

Hi Florian,

> I think it has been discussed in public rather often that there is a
private
> list where all the steering committee members are on, and that there are
> private phone calls sometimes.
>
> We never planned to have things in secret, so sorry if that impression
has
> grown.

Perhaps it would be good to list the private mailing lists existing,
so that interested people can send a request to a relevant human being
for a subscription. Otherwise, some people might never learn that they
even exist.

After discussion threads on private MLs and after private calls held
by the SC and/or relevant project teams (such as the sysadmins),
perhaps it might be a solution to publish an advisory on the
tdf-discuss list explaining as much as possible about the subject of
the call/thread, and as much as possible about the results of the
discussions? That way, at least people would be informed that they
have taken place, rather than the community possible being totally
unaware of such communication.

I don't see any problems in private mailing lists if they are listed
somewhere and the rules to be included in them are public, fair and clear.

--
David Nelson

Cheers

Hi :slight_smile:
+1

Also, allowing threads (such as the one about job-description for marketing
contacts) to split out to other, more relevant, lists is great and seems to be
working fine.

It's inevitable that discussions take place all over the place because there is
a lot of energy and excitement in TDF and about LibreOffice. Inevitably that is
going to "ruffle some feathers" but it's not necessarily a bad thing. This sort
of discussion to un-ruffle accidental issues usually goes well here too. It's
fairly clear there is no deliberate hiding going on and clearly no-one here has
bad intentions.

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi,

yep, your list is correct. Some details:

SC private

Contains of steering committee plus deputies, plus a few people who have been involved in the discussion of setting up a foundation, even before TDF was born. Recipient list should be re-defined by the new board of directors then, it's their decision who should stay on the list and who shouldn't.

AB private

Contains advisory board representatives, plus all the steering committee members and deputies.

Web infrastructure

Contains all the administrators (everyone who has root access, that is).

Security

Contains LibreOffice developers, and representatives of various distributions.

Marketing private (for pr drafting and readiness)

Currently has a list of local team representatives, we're right in the process of setting up a marketing network to determine/add recipients.

I would not propose to add these lists to our main mailing list page - I am not too keen of revealing the URLs and aliases, even if they are password protected. However, if someone wants to add the lists to a wiki page, feel free to do so.

Hope that helps,

yep, your list is correct.

Is it exhaustive?

Tanks,

Drew

Hi,

Is it exhaustive?

I just checked the mailing list system. There still is the conference jury mailing list, where all paper submissions are being sent to. Everyone had a chance to join the jury, we made a public call. Jury discussions are not meant to be a secret, but I doubt speakers would like to have their proposals immediately public, as they might contain private data.

Then we have some more technical aliases, like for blog notifications, wiki messages, donations notifications, Twitter and identi.ca, as well as IRC, but they are all no mailing lists, just mail aliases for technical messages.

In addition, there's an alias for the info@ address (SC+deputies), plus for the legal@ address (SC+deputies).

What was missing from the list is the internal discussion list of the membership committee, where the members of the membership committee are on.

That's it.

> Is it exhaustive?

I just checked the mailing list system. There still is the conference
jury mailing list, where all paper submissions are being sent to.
Everyone had a chance to join the jury, we made a public call. Jury
discussions are not meant to be a secret, but I doubt speakers would
like to have their proposals immediately public, as they might contain
private data.

Paulo alluded to this type - situational, or what I call one-off,
one-time, use.

<snip>

What was missing from the list is the internal discussion list of the
membership committee, where the members of the membership committee are on.

Right - that was one other that came to my mind, wasn't sure though.

Alright - referring to another email, since I poked the nest I'll take
the task of creating a wiki page - no URLs.

Best wishes,

//drew

Thank you Drew.

Best,
Charles.

+1 :slight_smile:

+1.

Just a question I'd like to ask:

I SC private and Core@ the same list or not?

Cheers.

Hi,

Just a question I'd like to ask:

I SC private and Core@ the same list or not?

yes.

Florian

Tks =)

<snip>

Alright - referring to another email, since I poked the nest I'll take
the task of creating a wiki page - no URLs.

Created this page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Lists/limited_access

set reference to the page from
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website#Communication_Channels

//drew

Very nice. It seems fine to me.

Hi :slight_smile:
+1
Yes, knowing that there are discussions dealing with those sorts of topics
gives more confidence in the whole project.

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Drew,

Created this page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Lists/limited_access

set reference to the page from
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website#Communication_Channels

thanks a lot, that looks good to me, and hopefully clarifies a few things. :slight_smile:

Florian

+1
Just one trivial typo in the "Members" text for "SC private".
e-defined should read re-defined.

Dave