Re: [steering-discuss] List discussion & purpose

Hello,

let me jump in quickly with a few thoughts:

- The set-up of this list was discussed in one of last year's steering commitee public conference calls, and if I remember correctly, it was even a demand by the community, not by the steering committee. (Which does not mean we do not consider it a good idea.)

- The purpose of this list is for the steering committee to discuss on topics. Others of course can jump in, but let's not forget we have a discuss mailing list that serves what it's name has: discussion. So, the topics on this list indeed should *only* be related to things concerning steering committee decisions. Traffic on this list should be kept rather low, main discussions should take place on the discuss list. I myself will try to follow that idea better in the future, I've also swamped the steering-discuss list with topics that would have belonged to a different list.

- Yes, there is a private list, and there are private calls. This has not been kept in secret, we've stated that several times at various places. We try to discuss as many things in public as possible, and our bylaws also have that we make private items public when possible.

One recent example for that is the letter of intent we sent regarding OpenOffice.org. During that discussion, it was crucial to not have it public - especially when dealing with corporations, there are of course topics that are to be kept confidential. I hope it is obvious to everyone why we could not discuss some internals of the things happening at OpenOffice.org in public. It was simply not possible, and if we hadn't have a chance to discuss it in private, we would have been forcd to keep out of it totally, which is not ideal. When the discussion phase has ended, we made the letter public, so everyone could read the contents.

So, please, everyone, calm down a bit. What Charles tried to say is that we should keep the focus of this list, and move other discussions on their appropriate list, e.g. discuss@tdf.

I agree that having a private list is always connected to some bad feelings, but I hope you see there are justified reasons for having that. Again, we discuss anything in public that is possible, and the topics that are discussed in private will be made public afterwards if that is feasible.

Nothing on our principle of transparency, openness and meritocracy has changed. I give you my word on that.