Re: [steering-discuss] decision on screenshots

--
Simon Phipps,  http://webmink.com/
+44 774 776 2816  or  +1 415 683 7660

On 10 Aug 2011, at 09:21, Florian Effenberger wrote:

Hi Simon,

Simon Phipps wrote on 2011-08-07 14:44:
This is too strong. The fact is, every action any project takes is subject to legal risk. Name
one that isn't. All that's happened here is that (for whatever motive) the theoretical risk has
been articulated for (a part of) this case. I'd suggest saying:

"The Steering Committee feels that the legal risk involved in using screenshots of non-free
desktops in documentation is no greater than any other theoretical risk facing software
projects."

not totally. IIRC, Microsoft claimed that taking screenshots will breach the EULA.

Do you have a reference where? I have only seen speculative interpretation of the EULA.

So, to me, although it is a lot of FUD, it is a bit different to any "normal" (unclaimed) risks
in daily open source work.

To bring this topic to an end, I tried to incorporate all changes into the following statement -
thoughts welcome:

==
Screenshots for documentation, website and marketing should preferably be taken on GNU/Linux, but
may also be taken on any other operating system.

The Steering Committee acknowledges that there is a small legal risk involved for screenshots on
non-free operating systems, but it feels that the legal risk involved is no greater than other
theoretical risk free software projects face.

The Steering Committee recommends a consistent visual appearance (e.g. theming) for the
screenshots taken on the selected operating system. It is up to the LibreOffice community how to
achieve that consistency.
==

Can we all live with that?

I think it is a mistake to state that the SC acknowledges a risk. It is a hostage to fortune in the
event of litigation, and it's not necessary to state.