Re: [steering-discuss] decision on screenshots

Hi Florian,

sorry if this turns out to be a discussion (here) again, but ...

Am Sonntag, den 07.08.2011, 13:12 +0200 schrieb Florian Effenberger:
Hi Christoph,

Christoph Noack wrote on 2011-08-06 14:57:
Screenshots for documentation, website and marketing should preferably
be taken on GNU/Linux, but may also be taken on any other operating
system.

The Steering Committee acknowledges that there is a small legal risk
involved for screenshots on non-free operating systems, but the risk is
deemed low.

The Steering Committee recommends a consistent visual appearance (e.g.
theming) for the screenshots taken on the selected operating system. It
is up to the LibreOffice community how to achieve that consistency.

thanks for that!

Honestly, I would leave out that last paragraph. This is something
indeed the teams should decide, so I am not in favor of having that
mentioned in an official SC decision.

Although I also think that the paragraph I've proposed looks weird from
the SC point-of-view, let's try it the other way round: Is the currently
proposed SC decision (the first two paragraphs) helpful for the
community and the project? At least it says that each individual, all of
the teams are free in their decision - which is somehow good.

But: when I've summarized the issue some mails ago, I got aware that
screenshots are taken across all the teams (e.g. website, marketing,
documentation, development). Screenshots and videos heavily influence
how "we" (as a project) are perceived (by e.g. customers). In this case,
some (balanced) recommendation by the SC might provide guidance across
the teams. Unfortunately, decisions within the individual teams are
hard, across the teams close to impossible :-)

Consequently, I think that the two parts: decision (use any OS) and
_recommendation_ (strive for some consistency, but decide yourself how
to do that) adds value in this case.

Let's try to keep the SC decisions
as easy as possible. We could also mention that the resolution, the icon
sets etc. should be decided by the teams, but I think this is out of
scope for any SC decision

True.

So, would you object to leave out the third paragraph? :-)

At least not hard - but please keep in mind that the originally proposed
SC decision causes more uncertainty and inhomogeneity than we had
before.

So, I think that's the last "pro active" mail on this topic from my side
(I already can hear some relief *G*).

Cheers,
Christoph