Re: [steering-discuss] Re: screen-shots Documentation Team

Hi,

don't know if I can make today's SC meeting in time, therefore some
comments via mail ...

Von: Christoph Noack <christoph@dogmatux.com>

History:
      * The German community did some investigation during OOo times and
        decided to stick with non-Windows screenshots due the (to their
        opinion) unclear legal situation

I tried to get some answers at that time with the result that there was
no better answer than we already know (means: there is a risk but
only after taken to court you will know if the risk is real or not.)

      * The documentation team provides a guide [1] how to make
        screenshots (e.g. theme settings, changes of LibreOffice view
        settings). They once developed a theme that resembles WinXP on
        Linux.

I see no good reason to have a SC-vote for something that can and should
be discussed within a team. I'd like to see self-organizing teams and
community wherever possible.

My recommendation to the SC:
      * decide whether Microsoft Windows / Mac OS X screenshots can
        generally be used

but be carefull to have this as recommendation. This should be not mis-used
to overrule or prevent any consensus deciosn of a tema.

      * if yes, please guide who might be legally responsible if such
        screenshots are made and published via e.g. the (international)
        website(s), in TDF branded documentation, by individuals (I
        assume these questions will pop up regularly)

IANAL - but this is how I see things.
Each contributor responsible for her contributions. But when speaking
about collaborative work (like full documentaion etc.) The publisher
becomes liable - for all documents that we (TFD) accept as official
we are liable. So if we see real legal problems the TDF BoD *must* be
aware and take a decision.

Note for SC and future BoD - members: If there is an obvious breach of law
and the BoD did not prevent this (or even accepted this with a formal
decision) the BoD members will become personally liable. This is a
restiriction in German law to prevent that BoD can act willfull or gross
negligent with negative effects for the foundation.
Florian is preparing more information on this and will blog soon.

Anyway - I personally se no obvious breach of law here, but we should
keep this in mind.

So my summary for today's decision would be:

- recommendation is to use screenshots taken on FLOSS operating systems. But
this should not prevent a team to take screenshots on Windows or Mac (or
iOS or WbOS or whatever) if this is usefull for the team's purpose.

- The respective teams should be free in their decision what kind of
screenshots are best for their purposes. We encourace consistency among
the work we all produce, but this should not be misunderstood as a strict
rule to never ever do screenshots with differend themes or from other
OS if needed.

regards,

André