Re: [steering-discuss] Re: screen-shots Documentation Team

On 8 Jul 2011, at 13:09, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)
Except screen-shots in Windows can't have any useful arrows or circles to point
out the exact thing being talked about in the documentation.

Only screenshots of /Microsoft/ products.

 They can't even be
cropped to show off particular areas.  Icons can't be shown

/Microsoft/ icons

(?) (without
altering the screen-shot??) and we have to get permission to use any of the
standard MS fonts.

I believe that is an excessively cautious interpretation.

So, the documentation's screen-shots in Windows can only be as unhelpful as the
screen that made the user want to dig into documentation because they couldn't
find what they were looking for.

The restriction on cropping applies to screenshots of /Microsoft/ products, and even then is most
likely waived by the documentation exception.

Microsoft are protecting their own products from abuse here, not telling developers on their
platform that they may not document their own products. I hate their EULA as much as the next guy
but really, the caution on display here is excessive.

S.