[steering-discuss] Distributing the book "Getting Started with LibreOffice 3.3"

Hi,

I am looking for distributing the book "Getting Started with LibreOffice
3.3" among local schools
as a LibreOffice promotion activity in Sri Lanka. And its for* free of
charge*.

At the moment I am thinking about the way I could increase the
knowledge/support about LibreOffice within my community.

There is a high possibility if the Document Foundation and LibreOffice
Documentation Team allow
us to print this book locally and and redistribute for free of charge among
the schools and relevant places like public libraries.

As you may know Sri Lanka is a* developing country*. So, the cost of this
book is not affordable to many people.

What I am planning is to write to the "President's Task Force for the
English and ICT" and relevant organizations like Ministry of Education, ICT
Agency of Sri Lanka, and National Institute of Education, etc by requesting
arranging necessary for local printing and distribution of more this book.

They could find funds from the local or international sponsors.

I would like to here a positive response from TDF and documentation team
before I write to above mention organizations.

I hope we could print and distribute more than 10,000 copies of this book.

[1]
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/getting-started-with-libreoffice-33/14703788

Note: If all partites agreed to this proposal the selected meterial will be
the latest version of the "Getting Started with LibreOffice"
Because Getting Started with LibreOffice 4.x might be released when I ended
up with solving each issue.

I need a written permission before I write the local organizations.

Best Regards,

Hi :slight_smile:

You might prefer this page
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
The same guides are available free and under a copy-left agreement allowing you
to print multiple copies. It's even possible that you might be able to charge a
reasonable fee to cover costs and wear&tear on hardware, distribution, and so
on, even a reasonable profit on top especially if a reasonable percentage share
of that profit is paid to The Document Foundation.

At the moment some of those guides are not fully updated. I'm reasonably sure
the Writer and Calc guides are done for this edition. I think the "Introducing
LibreOffice" guides has got some new updates going through in the next few
days. Similarly with the Impress guides. Base is likely to take a long time.
I think work on Math and Draw are about to start (hopefully).

If you sign-up to the Documentation Team's mailing list and ask them you might
get a better answer to all of these things. They are quite friendly.

The Documentation Team are likely to appreciate it more if you are able to get
involved with writing/updating the English (US) guides and/or get involved with
translating them into 'local' languages that are likely to be understood in
schools/colleges in your area. In one country a few university or college
students joined the volunteers as part of a 'school' project.

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Danishka,

We are studying your request and you will get an answer by Wednesday.
Apologies for the delay.

Best,
Charles.

Dear Danishka,

Yesterday evening the Steering Committee has granted you the
authorization to use the full logo (with the TDF subline) for the
printing of the documentation of LibreOffice.

We hope this will help advancing the cause of LibreOffice and Free
Software in Sri Lanka.

Best regards and good luck,

Charles-H. Schulz
(on behalf of the Steering Committee).

Dear Charles,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I hope this will make a big difference.

Btw, Could you please issue me a written document that I could attached to
the request latter to Presidents Office?

Best Regards,
Danishka

Dear Charles,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I hope this will make a big difference.

Btw, Could you please issue me a written document that I could attached to
the request latter to Presidents Office?

Actually next phase is the hard one.
Convince the government and sponsors :wink:

Danishka,

I'm sure I can draft you an official document... But can we just send
it to you by email?

Best,
Charles.

Hi,

My postal address is mentioned bellow and my mobile number (if needed) +94
714 275 305.
Danishka Navin
25/1A, Dhammananda Mawatha,
Ambalangoda, 80300
SRI LANKA

I am writing to them as TDF member as well as local community lead.

Best Regards,
Danishka Navin

Hi Charles,

Danishka,

I'm sure I can draft you an official document... But can we just send
it to you by email?

Highly appreciate if you could post it.
Please do not mind, still we can find some government officers with
transnational communication. :slight_smile:

It would be better if you could make it as two separate papers.
01. One letter is with: Introduction to the Document Foundation and
LibreOffice.
    Please add some thing like our status, who are we, what we are doing and
our strengths
  in the same doc you can mention that I am a foundation member, etc etc

Because I do not have any show my identity within the community. They wont
check my linkedin profile. :slight_smile:

02. Permission to use the content of the "Getting Started with LibreOffice
3.3".
   Please mention all the limitations and relevant legal points in that
document.

I will definitely share my experience

Best Regards,
Danishka

Best,

I am not Charles or a SC member, but it may be faster if you can write
the documents, and Charles and SC can review and sign them.

Kind regards,
Goran Rakic