Re: [steering-discuss] SC calls via Mumble or OpenMeetings

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. The problem is that there will be no one-fits-it-all-solution, but we rather have to find something that is the best compromise.

The current phone conference infrastructure provides a lot of dial-in numbers. It has its drawbacks, like some countries missing and the web interface only available in German. However, some other problems are not to be fixed with that, like

* time zone
* availability of a phone or local dial-in
* availability of broadband internet

Setting up an own Asterisk or FreeSwitch server cannot solve all problems either, as we can not get local dial-ins for a good price. It would cost us hundreds of EUR per month if we do it totally on our own.

So, my take for the "basic" conferences is to use talkyoo as we do now, and try to get more people in by using either Skype, or our own Asterisk. However, for that to happen, I need *feedback* from those affected by missing local dial-in numbers whether they can use Skype, or in which country they are, so we can check for dial-in numbers.

My impression is that a lot of people who can dial-in anyways are working on the topic, but feedback from the affected people is missing. It doesn't help having Mumble, when colleagues from another country cannot join anyways, as they have only slow internet.

So, again, *please*, those who cannot join the conferences, but *want* to (this is important as well!), *please* give feedback on why and what your preferred solution would be.

That's for the majority of phone conferences. Of course, there will be some special conferences where something like OpenMeetings comes in handy.