[steering-discuss] Granting authorization to use the TDF logo for the french local association La Mouette

Hello,

The French Association La Mouette, co-organising the LibreOffice
Conference and representing the french speaking community, is drafting
a pamphlet / brochure to be handed out to some specific audience
(CIOs - CTOs of specific sectors) . La Mouette is asking us the
authorization to use the full TDF/LibreOffice logo (with the TDF
outline).

I would like to ask the SC to answer positively to this request. This
does not preclude us, however to start this "NGOs committee" we talked
about in 2010 and work with them on collaboration on the local level,
as this is only one specific question about a brochure.

Best,

Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

The French Association La Mouette, co-organising the LibreOffice
Conference and representing the french speaking community, is drafting
a pamphlet / brochure to be handed out to some specific audience
(CIOs - CTOs of specific sectors) . La Mouette is asking us the
authorization to use the full TDF/LibreOffice logo (with the TDF
outline).

I would like to ask the SC to answer positively to this request. This
does not preclude us, however to start this "NGOs committee" we talked
about in 2010 and work with them on collaboration on the local level,
as this is only one specific question about a brochure.

Hi Charles,

if this brochure is positively advertizing TDF/LibreOffice, I see no
reason not to endorse it with our official logo - I understand it's
presented as kind of a supportive quote from TDF?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Hi Charles, all,

I'm not a SC member, so my opinion should not be understood as voting.

Thorsten Behrens schrieb:

Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

The French Association La Mouette, co-organising the LibreOffice
Conference and representing the french speaking community, is drafting
a pamphlet / brochure to be handed out to some specific audience
(CIOs - CTOs of specific sectors) . La Mouette is asking us the
authorization to use the full TDF/LibreOffice logo (with the TDF
outline).

La Mouette is the NGO representing the Francophone community.

My question is: Are they part of this community or are they a different entity consisting of the same people?

As different entity they should *not* use the official logo dedicated to the community and TDF alone.

But if the French community creates a pamphlet that is printed and distributed by La Mouette, they have the right to use the full logo.

I would like to ask the SC to answer positively to this request. This
does not preclude us, however to start this "NGOs committee" we talked
about in 2010 and work with them on collaboration on the local level,
as this is only one specific question about a brochure.

Hi Charles,

if this brochure is positively advertizing TDF/LibreOffice, I see no
reason not to endorse it with our official logo - I understand it's
presented as kind of a supportive quote from TDF?

Even if the brochure advertises TDF/LibreOffice in the most positive light, this doesn't mean that we should allow external entities to behave as if they were the community or TDF.

Advertising LibreOffice can be done without any negative impact by using the logo without TDF subline.

And for advertising TDF we don't have any rules by now (and no logo different from the LibreOffice logo with subline).

So my take in this question would be:

Have the brochure created by the French community on their list and let La Mouette distribute it. In this case the brochure is an official resource of the community and therefore allowed to use the logo with subline.

Best regards

Bernhard

PS: If La Mouette is set up as part of the community, this topic would be much easier, but I don't know if their statutes contain such a phrase...

Bernhard,

Thorsten Behrens schrieb:
> Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
>> The French Association La Mouette, co-organising the LibreOffice
>> Conference and representing the french speaking community, is
>> drafting a pamphlet / brochure to be handed out to some specific
>> audience (CIOs - CTOs of specific sectors) . La Mouette is asking
>> us the authorization to use the full TDF/LibreOffice logo (with
>> the TDF outline).

La Mouette is the NGO representing the Francophone community.

My question is: Are they part of this community or are they a
different entity consisting of the same people?

hmm; it's fair to say that they represent the francophone community.
They were the previous OOo french association.

As different entity they should *not* use the official logo dedicated
to the community and TDF alone.

But if the French community creates a pamphlet that is printed and
distributed by La Mouette, they have the right to use the full logo.

>> I would like to ask the SC to answer positively to this request.
>> This does not preclude us, however to start this "NGOs committee"
>> we talked about in 2010 and work with them on collaboration on the
>> local level, as this is only one specific question about a
>> brochure.
>>
> Hi Charles,
>
> if this brochure is positively advertizing TDF/LibreOffice, I see no
> reason not to endorse it with our official logo - I understand it's
> presented as kind of a supportive quote from TDF?

Even if the brochure advertises TDF/LibreOffice in the most positive
light, this doesn't mean that we should allow external entities to
behave as if they were the community or TDF.

Advertising LibreOffice can be done without any negative impact by
using the logo without TDF subline.

And for advertising TDF we don't have any rules by now (and no logo
different from the LibreOffice logo with subline).

So my take in this question would be:

Have the brochure created by the French community on their list and
let La Mouette distribute it. In this case the brochure is an
official resource of the community and therefore allowed to use the
logo with subline.

Best regards

Bernhard

PS: If La Mouette is set up as part of the community, this topic
would be much easier, but I don't know if their statutes contain such
a phrase...

I would still grant them the right to use the logo, but as I wrote in
my proposal, other conventions/protocols need to be discussed with the
NGOs. However, given the work they're helping us with, we should grant
them the right to use the logo on the brochure.

best,
Charles.

Hi Charles,

The French Association La Mouette, co-organising the LibreOffice
Conference and representing the french speaking community, is drafting
a pamphlet / brochure to be handed out to some specific audience
(CIOs - CTOs of specific sectors) . La Mouette is asking us the
authorization to use the full TDF/LibreOffice logo (with the TDF
outline).

I would like to ask the SC to answer positively to this request. This
does not preclude us, however to start this "NGOs committee" we talked
about in 2010 and work with them on collaboration on the local level,
as this is only one specific question about a brochure.

sorry, been offline for a few days and just catching up on e-mail. Is this request already dealt with or is there feedback required?

Florian

It's already been dealt with :slight_smile:

best,