Re: [steering-discuss] About elections

Hi,

Michael Meeks wrote:
      It is possible that Maemo re-used the code and made it more generic;
not sure - Dave might know (?).

When I got it, the code had the anonymous token/voter token system for
anonymising votes already, but used the old "pick N, and we aggregate
all the choices to get the result" GNOME system. I wanted STV with
fractional transfer, so I modified step 2 and 3 to use (not working on
IE 6 or 7) Javascript to generate the candidate list on the fly, allow
the voter to order them, and then submit the ordered ballot. I also
modified the database structure to handle the ordering, and added a page
to download all ballots in the OpenSTV .blt file format.

I did all that for Maemo, and then GNOME copied the code back :) I don't
think any major changes beyond making it fit with stylesheets was done
to the code when GNOME reused it.

So the balloting code's in use by at least 2 communities at this point.

One thing we don't do, which I believe other former Sun projects do, is
venerate the results on the fly using OpenSTV. Someone needs to download
the ballots, generate the result, and store it. Shouldn't be too hard to
accomplish, but currently a gap.

Cheers,
Dave.

--