[steering-discuss] Fwd: Thanks for the interview today

Two articles from yesterday interview. I have commented stating that LibreOffice 3.3.2 is already available for corporate deployments, as I was quite clear during the interview.

Italo Vignoli wrote:

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2077963/libreoffice-ready-commercial-distribution-months-document-foundation
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2077979/document-foundation-promises-enterprise-ready-libreoffice-august

It's great to see that the LibreOffice download size will be 30
MBytes... if only that was true! It must be an invariant that, however
accurate the information provided to them, journalists always manage to
get something wrong.

Regards,
  Andrea.

It's not just journalists. All human communications have that effect, hence the game "Chinese Whispers"[1]. That's why when I give a conference keynote I try to also publish my thoughts before or at the same time, so there can be no doubt what I think. It's also why reports of what others said or think should be treated as suspect (a concept described in English as "Hearsay"[2]) until there's a supporting source provided.

The lesson I have learned is that I should treat each error in an article where I am the source as my own failure to present the information in a way that was effective for the journalist. On the other hand, as a journalist I always appreciate rapid, polite, factual and constructive corrections to my articles and apply them as soon as I can.

S.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearsay

Of course, it was my fault, but during the call we went over so many things that would have been difficult for him to report without a glitch.

Although going through the article quickly I didn't notice the 30 MB problem. I will ping Iain about it as well.

Hi,

Italo Vignoli wrote:

[...]

That is why it exists in large corporations and institutions a
department to assist journalists, also known as the Communications
Department. Journalists are generalists, not obliged, therefore, to know
everything.

Regards,

Luiz Oliveira

This is the work I have been doing for the last 30 years.