Re: [steering-discuss] About elections

----- Original Message ----
From: Volker Merschmann <merschmann@gmail.com>
To: steering-discuss@documentfoundation.org
Sent: Mon, 6 June, 2011 11:02:56
Subject: Re: [steering-discuss] About elections

Hi,

2011/6/6 Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org>:
 Tom Davies wrote on 2011-06-06 11.22:

I think 100 is  still quite small compared to the numbers of people
 actually
involved.  So the list of members is still more like a  special-interest
sub-set.  The founder members are doing a great job  and i hope that they
stay in
place for a long while  yet.

thanks for the flowers, as we say in Germany.  :-)

Well, there are two things:
The steering committee  has to end its existence one year after being set in
place, which would  be, depending on how that needs to be counted, either
end
of August, or  September 28th.

In addition, to set up the Foundation in  Germany, we need to provide the
names of the legal representatives. As  we hope to have the legal paperwork
finished soon, we also need those  names. So, maybe waiting one or two more
weeks is possible, but given  that we have been accepting members for a few
weeks already, I guess the  time that is right will come soon ;)

I'd like to add that not every  contributor wants to be a member of the
foundation. Especially those who are  payed for the work might not like
to have a too personal  connection.

We can ask the membership committee if there is a reasonable  number of
applications left which can be finished in the next days.
Else  we should go ahead for the reasons given by Florian.

Volker

Hi :)

+1

Companies do reasonably often pay shares to employees.  This would be slightly
different in that the 'shares' do not give a pay-out but similar in that they
give workers a say in the organisation.  I think paid workers should be
encouraged to become members but obviously it is their choice.
Regards from
Tom :)