[steering-discuss] Re: TDF/LO, what is the art of the possible?

Hi Rob,

I don't want to leave this unanswered, although I very likely cannot provide the answers
you like to get ... (steering-discuss in cc, so that other SC memebers might agree or
disagree)

If someone on the list from TDF is authorized to answer this (or can get
such authorization), I'd appreciate an official stance on the following
questions. This would help us understand what room there is for
negotiation and what is not worth discussing at all.

In your questionary, the questions to me seem to be of two kinds:

1) questions that are targeted to individuals actions (sign Apache CLA, contribute
code to Apache as well as to TDF ...)

2) fundamental questions on TDF (join Apache and consolidate there, choose a name
for the product ...)

Regarding 1) - those questions need to go to the individuals. I (no one) can answer this
on their behalf. What I can do is to state, that such discussion are already ongoing on
one or the other list at TDF, but individuals do what individuals like to do - one choose
this way, one the other.

Regarding 2) - Even if you suggest in a later mail that TDF is young, small and should
therefore be "flexible" in taking decisions - I feel not authorized to give an answer. And
I would veto if the SC would be pressed for such a statement (in any case).

We curently count close to 100 project members according to our bylaws (and we are
verifying some more applications). Substantial questions on what TDF should do (as
an organization) should be discussed by those members at large. I would even suggest
to have a vote by our community members - but at the moment I do not feel that it
is the correct time to go this way.

btw. I very much share William's points in the later mails.

regards,

André

The ASF is not a consortium. There is no mechanism for a foundation
to participate as an entity, only individuals.

I agree that naming is an important discussion.

- Sam Ruby

I think this is a very important point. It means TDF has to keep its clear
and separate identity if there is to be a project supporting a copyleft
licensed version of the code. The ASF OOo code is simply a resource to be
taken and given a purpose that TDF members believe in. TDF members have the
option of contributing to that code but they don't have to.