[steering-discuss] Re: TDF/LO, what is the art of the possible?

On 5 June 2011 17:31, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

2011/6/5 André Schnabel <andre.schnabel@gmx.net>:

In your questionary, the questions to me seem to be of two kinds:

1) questions that are targeted to individuals actions (sign Apache CLA,
contribute code to Apache as well as to TDF ...)

2) fundamental questions on TDF (join Apache and consolidate there,
choose a
name for the product ...)

The ASF is not a consortium.  There is no mechanism for a foundation
to participate as an entity, only individuals.

I think this is a very important point. It means TDF has to keep its clear
and separate identity if there is to be a project supporting a copyleft
licensed version of the code. The ASF OOo code is simply a resource to be
taken  and given a purpose that TDF members believe in. TDF members have the
option of contributing to that code but they don't have to.