[steering-discuss] Re: OpenOffice and the ASF

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:39 AM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
Hello,

I hope you don't mind if I jump in to the discussion. The views shared here
are not any official TDF statement, but rather solely my own ones, acting as
a volunteer who has been contributing to the OpenOffice.org project, and now
the LibreOffice project, since 2004, investing lots of my private time and
heart into the community.

My hope is that you've appreciated the ample welcome that was provided
for your input at on the ASF mailing lists.  It has been suggested
that we return the favor.  I don't have a lot to say, but I will be
watching this list and will respond to questions.

While this too is not an official ASF statement, as VP of Legal
Affairs for the ASF, I do have a particular focus on license issues.
With that in mind:

To bring this to an end:
I seriously doubt that having a separate project, even as incubator, within
the Apache Foundation, would bring benefit for anyone. The Document
Foundation has been working for months not only on shaping a project, but
also on shaping solid grounds to work on, providing the legal framework, and
our open, meritocratic and transparent approach ensures that anyone --
individuals, organizations and businesses -- can contribute to the future.

I do believe that a choice in license affects this statement.  To be
clear there is no license that satisfies the above statement.  Nor am
I going to ask anyone to change their choice in licenses.  However I
will state that in cases where widespread use of the code is vital for
advancing the cause of free software that the Apache License, Version
2.0 is an appropriate choice:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html

- Sam Ruby