[steering-discuss] Reminder: TDF SC call in CW 20

Hi,

if you intend to participate in this weeks steering committee conference call, and haven't casted your vote yet, please do so at

https://www.doodle.com/9ffn85imeskgn82q

As the call will most likely be Saturday or Sunday according to the existing votes, I will close the poll tomorrow.

Thanks,

if you intend to participate in this weeks steering committee conference
call, and haven't casted your vote yet, please do so at

https://www.doodle.com/9ffn85imeskgn82q

As the call will most likely be Saturday or Sunday according to the
existing votes, I will close the poll tomorrow.

the call is now scheduled for

  Sunday, May 22th, 1300 UTC (=1500 German time)
  For your local date and time, see the poll above.

Florian

OK - I won't make it. However - the ESC are all behind partially
funding Lanedo to work on gnumake (cf. minutes), and it seems we've had
support from other SC members.

  I'd love a final vote on that - and quickly moving to how we can fund
that - preferably not blocking on transfers etc. but funding it direct
from the association, if we can't do that we need to poke SPI I suppose
(which may be harder).

  Thanks,

    Michael.

Did you get an answer from Davide about PLIO funds?

Hi,

  OK - I won't make it. However - the ESC are all behind partially
funding Lanedo to work on gnumake (cf. minutes), and it seems we've had
support from other SC members.

basically, I trust the developers, and I see myself that this is an important topic, so...

  I'd love a final vote on that - and quickly moving to how we can fund
that - preferably not blocking on transfers etc. but funding it direct
from the association, if we can't do that we need to poke SPI I suppose
(which may be harder).

...I have no general objections. What we maybe should do is indeed draft some budget plan before we go on and spend money. We have roughly about 93.000 € on the account at the moment, so we have about 43.000 € to spend, not counting in monthly fees, outstanding lawyer fees for trademarks, outstanding notary and probably lawyer fees for the legal setup. There are many things we could jump in, so having a rough idea on what is to be spent and how would be helpful.

So, no general objection to the proposal, but more a new task seeking for volunteers, to draft a budget plan we can stick to. :slight_smile:

Legally, I first have to ask our board if we (German association) can spend the money that way. Shouldn't be a problem normally, but before you make a fixed deal, wait for feedback :slight_smile:

Florian

Hi Florian,

Legally, I first have to ask our board if we (German association) can
spend the money that way. Shouldn't be a problem normally, but before
you make a fixed deal, wait for feedback :slight_smile:

  Thanks for that ! :slight_smile:

  ATB,

    Michael.

Hi,

Legally, I first have to ask our board if we (German association) can
> spend the money that way. Shouldn't be a problem normally, but before
> you make a fixed deal, wait for feedback:)

  Thanks for that !:slight_smile:

do you have some details already, i.e. how much money and the destination?

Florian

We should also start discussing some small marketing expenses. Drew has spent 50 bucks for a table at a Linux expo, and we should be able to refund such a small amount of money.

Hi,

We should also start discussing some small marketing expenses. Drew has
spent 50 bucks for a table at a Linux expo, and we should be able to
refund such a small amount of money.

I agree. This is why I said talking about a budget might be useful. I did *not* want to refuse Michael's request, not at all, but since we were talking about money, some more planning at the same time could be helpful. :slight_smile:

Marketing is one area where a budget is definitely very wisely spent.

Florian

Ah, I never said that - in fact the last email from the SELF organizers
was:

"I think we're all happy LibreOffice saved the OO.org effort from
Oracle doom, and they're still getting organized themselves, I don't
think there will be much objection to comp'ing LibreOffice a booth"

My email to you was an inquiry about budgets for general show material.
I'm covering travel and lodging expenses for for 2 of us (~650.00 USD)
and do not expect reimbursement, but I can not cover swag on top of
that.

Thanks

Drew

Sorry, I have probably confused things. In any case, we should have some budget for giveaways and other small marketing expenses.

> My email to you was an inquiry about budgets for general show material.

<snip>

In any case, we should have some
budget for giveaways and other small marketing expenses.

Hi,

Yes, it would help to have some guidance, perhaps if only towards
general expectations for planning purposes. To re-cap there are three
upcoming events that I am reasonably certain about our ability to have a
presence - OSCON [1] (not sure on size, large) in July, a linux fest[2]
( with ~1,000 ppl) in 2 weeks and another Linux fest[3] in September ( >
1,000 ppl). Of those three I would say that all other things being equal
I would recommend more TDF expenditure emphasis on OSCON, over the two
linux fests. Of course that is contingent on what exactly we could put
together for staffing at OSCON.

Thanks and best wishes,

Drew

[1] http://www.oscon.com/oscon2011