Re: [steering-discuss] Vendor string usage in third-party package of LibreOffice

Hi Thorsten, all,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 09:44:55PM +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
Francois Tigeot wrote:
In this context you may see TDF as "the original manufacturer" (of
the source code) while you are the "immediate supplier" (of the
final package containing your modifications).

Okay. In this context, the vendor would be the packager then.

oh fun, since this is a real corner case - unless nobody distributes
binaries from your config, I guess keeping TDF as the vendor would
be fine (to make that 100% undisputable, you may want to commit that
file to our git repos, and use it as the authoritative source).

The end result would be unmanageable; I will not use TDF as a vendor
string.

Once NetBSD starts providing binary packages, things change - then
you should use the wording as Andre suggested below:

Why not use something like "NetBSD pkgsrc Team"

Yeah, I'll do that.
The packages will not be limited to NetBSD either: pkgsrc runs on many
common operating systems and every user is potentially able to create a
package.

Sigh. Well, the intended meaning is as Michael originally said -
LibreOffice is ok to use, TDF is reserved. Hints on how to improve
the wording appreciated. ;)

I'm not sure what to do here; I believe the original thinkers behind the
existing text did not take into account the reality of packaging and
redistribution.
Maybe it should be best they revisit what they meant and what is actually
written / possible in light of this situation first; I'm afraid it will
lead to more misunderstanding if I just start to propose modifications to
the text without having a good grasp of the issues behind it.

Hmm, another complication here: I'm a committer and I did this sort of work
in the last few months to port LibreOffice to the DragonFly BSD operating
system.

Just as an aside - with all that work you've done, we'd be honoured
to receive your application as a TDF member. :)

How can I do that ? And what does a membership entails ?

--
Francois Tigeot