[steering-discuss] Re: LibreOffice TSC call, Thur May 12th - 15:00 UTC...

Le 16/05/11 11:25, Petr Mladek a écrit :

Bug 36991 - crash when duplicating draw page with linked wmf pictures
I think a crash in a basic function that might affect many users is not
acceptable.

I agree that it is annoying and we should fix it ASAP. It seems to
behave very randomly. There might be more similar crashes...

Well, I think that it need not block the 3.4.0 release. It is reported
with linked pictures but pictures are not linked by default. Also I am
not able to reproduce this when I link the picture only once.

I couldn't reproduce this either on Mac, but this may be due to having
other image management libraries I've installed on my system via ports
or just OSX's general image handling. For me, it was stable.

Bug 36306 - LibreOffice 3.4 beta1 crash in Letter Wizard
I think a crash in a basic function that might affect many users is not
acceptable. But I am not sure how many users really use that wizard.

I agree that it is annoying. Well, as you say, we are not sure how many
users need this functionality. I think that it is not a core function
and need not be working in 3.4.0.

This doesn't crash on OOo 3.4-dev, even though the initial dialog window
was also partially off screen. So its a bit more than annoying IMHO.

Of course, I'm sounding my own trumpet here, as I do actually write
mailmerge letters in different languages for my business activities.

Bug 33915 - user settings get lost after several restarts
Very Very annoying, but I can't tell how many users might be affected.

Happened also with LO-3.3.0 => old => can't block 3.4.0

Reminds me of an old bug that the Ubuntu versions used to have, very
disconcerting when you have a pool of users who keep ringing you up and
telling you that your latest rollout made all their user settings
disappear, and really doesn't make the product look professional !!
Again, putting the resources down to fixing things like this all boils
down to the question of how serious the Foundation is about making LibO
an appealing option to businesses. Not an easy question to answer give
the youth of the project at the moment.

Bug 34184 - Task: Make E-mail MAILMERGE usable.
Since LibO project has started tis feature does not work, and with every
new final release fix for the bugs gets shifted to the next and to the
next and ... . But it seems I'm the only one using email-mailmerge?

Happened also with LO-3.3.0 => old => can't block 3.4.0

No, not the only one by far, this is also one of my pet disappointments,
and I know for certain on the French users lists that many
administrations (schools, town halls, etc) and software prescribers that
currently use or recommend OOo are warning those users and clients to
stay away from LibO until the mailmerge issues get fixed reliably. But
then, I can't speak for any other community. In administrations,
mailmerge is used massively, even if it just for preparing pupils'
school marks, or reminders about all sorts of things from club
membership payments to a change of day in putting out the trash. It is
something that with Microsoft Office does not require a great deal of
sophistication. It took years to bring OOo to a reasonably usable state,
and now it is "seemingly" hopelessly broken in LibO, almost "overnight"
in a lot of people's eyes. This is the biggest issue with regard to
mailmerge, the visible negative impact on the community of users that
followed over from OOo or would like to. Obviously, there appears to be
a difference in how the developers within the corporate participants of
the LibO project see this and how the users in certain communities see
it. Until that difference can be reconciled, we will be stuck in
mailmerge noman's land.

Alex

PS: Sorry to all for hijacking this thread.