Re: [steering-discuss] Vendor string usage in third-party package of LibreOffice

Francois Tigeot wrote:
In this context you may see TDF as "the original manufacturer" (of
the source code) while you are the "immediate supplier" (of the
final package containing your modifications).

Okay. In this context, the vendor would be the packager then.

Hi Francois, all,

oh fun, since this is a real corner case - unless nobody distributes
binaries from your config, I guess keeping TDF as the vendor would
be fine (to make that 100% undisputable, you may want to commit that
file to our git repos, and use it as the authoritative source).

Once NetBSD starts providing binary packages, things change - then
you should use the wording as Andre suggested below:

Why not use something like "NetBSD pkgsrc Team" - this is more or
less what the Linux distributions do. They use "LibreOffice" but a
different vendor string, which proudly states that they did invest
some effort to bring the packages to their users.

Well, I asked the question to a group of pkgsrc developers first, and the
answer I got was to use The Document Foundation name ;-)
The wording on the website heavily influenced the discussion towards this
result.

Sigh. Well, the intended meaning is as Michael originally said -
LibreOffice is ok to use, TDF is reserved. Hints on how to improve
the wording appreciated. ;)

Hmm, another complication here: I'm a committer and I did this sort of work
in the last few months to port LibreOffice to the DragonFly BSD operating
system.

Just as an aside - with all that work you've done, we'd be honoured
to receive your application as a TDF member. :)

Hope this helps,

-- Thorsten