[steering-discuss] Formal vote on an online component for LibreOffice as a strategic option

Hi,

As described in the last confcall minutes, I would like to call for a formal
approval from the SC on considering a yet undefined online component for
LibreOffice as a strategic option. This would not of course diminish our
present efforts on LibreOffice.

Please vote +1 or -1.

Best,
Charles.

+1
Italo

Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

As described in the last confcall minutes, I would like to call for a formal
approval from the SC on considering a yet undefined online component for
LibreOffice as a strategic option. This would not of course diminish our
present efforts on LibreOffice.

+1

, but with a technical requirement: we (in the ESC) really love
synergies with our core LibreOffice project - I want as much code as
possible reused from there.

There is a GSoC proposal for a HTML5/Canvas renderer for LibreOffice
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#HTML5_.2F_Canvas_Rendering)
which we should base this on. :wink:

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Hi all,

Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

As described in the last confcall minutes, I would like to call for a formal
approval from the SC on considering a yet undefined online component for
LibreOffice as a strategic option. This would not of course diminish our
present efforts on LibreOffice.

+1

, but with a technical requirement: we (in the ESC) really love
synergies with our core LibreOffice project - I want as much code as
possible reused from there.

There is a GSoC proposal for a HTML5/Canvas renderer for LibreOffice
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#HTML5_.2F_Canvas_Rendering)
which we should base this on. :wink:

+1

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi,

Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> As described in the last confcall minutes, I would like to call for a formal
> approval from the SC on considering a yet undefined online component for
> LibreOffice as a strategic option. This would not of course diminish our
> present efforts on LibreOffice.

+1

Florian

+1

+1, of course.

So, we still miss André's and Caolan's vote before we formally close this
vote.
Please SC members, cast your vote if you havent't done so yet.

Thank you,

Charles.

Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
> As described in the last confcall minutes, I would like to call for a formal
> approval from the SC on considering a yet undefined online component for
> LibreOffice as a strategic option. This would not of course diminish our
> present efforts on LibreOffice.

+1

From my side, an online LibreOffice, weboffice or whatever is probably a

"good thing" tm, so sure, +1.

There is a GSoC proposal for a HTML5/Canvas renderer for LibreOffice
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#HTML5_.2F_Canvas_Rendering)
which we should base this on. :wink:

I'm not enthused about strategic options, I'm more of a show me the
f**king code kind of a guy, so the approach Thorsten points to is a
plausible implementation direction that should be encouraged.

C.

Hi,

So, we still miss André's and Caolan's vote before we formally close this
vote.

+1

(sorry, spent the last two day answering the question "What is different (to OOo)" and
"Why did you do this (LobO/TDF)" about 1000times (at least it felt like that) :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone!

The vote is now formally closed.

Best,
Charles.

Hi André,

Hi,

So, we still miss André's and Caolan's vote before we formally close this
vote.

+1

(sorry, spent the last two day answering the question "What is different (to OOo)" and
"Why did you do this (LobO/TDF)" about 1000times (at least it felt like that) :slight_smile:

Ho, so you know what kind of T-shirt we should produce next time:
'What is different' on the front side and the 'Why did you do this' on the back :wink:

Kind regards
Sophie

Sorry its a bit late; and of course I have no vote :slight_smile: but I wanted to
say publicly that I support the direction, but of course with Thorsten's
caveats: that the design -must- be complementary to what we do now.

  I'm also not particularly eager to see a lot of media hype around this
until we have something real, and I'm particularly uninterested in
distracting "new project creation" type vapour, new mailing lists, lots
of discussion without code etc. :slight_smile: Indeed, I think there are huge
dangers ere to getting the cart before the horses as it were. IMHO
announcing products before they exist is a way to loose credibility
really fast ( and I think we can make something exist quite fast enough
for it to be fun :slight_smile:

  Anyhow, all this aside, and assuming we get all of that right (and I'm
sure we will), I'm really enthusiastic about the possiblities here.

  ATB,

    Michael.

Hi,

Von: sophie <gautier.sophie@gmail.com>

> (sorry, spent the last two day answering the question "What is
> different (to OOo)" and
> "Why did you do this (LobO/TDF)" about 1000times (at least it felt
> like that) :slight_smile:

Ho, so you know what kind of T-shirt we should produce next time:
'What is different' on the front side and the 'Why did you do this' on
the back :wink:

No no ... Jacqueline and me did a presentation on Saturday that
covered all those question. As soon as the video recording is available
we can invest in some MeBots [1], programm them with some
question-to-time-index relation and let them handle the booth :slight_smile:

http://robotic.media.mit.edu/projects/robots/mebot/overview/overview.html

lol, that is the better thing to do, of course :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Sophie