Hi,

Von: Volker Merschmann <merschmann@gmail.com>

I would like to ask a statement from the SC whether
www.libreoffice.org is our international page or the page for the
english-speaking community or even has a focus on North America.

Well .. I think, this will take some days to come up with an official
statement (as the statement might have some side-effects).

The question has to be asked because of the disussion at [1] if the
page http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/marketers/ should contain
a link to the US-Marketing-Mailinglist.

Imho the discussion should go back to where it started: do we need
this information at the website?

I'd say no. At OOo we used to have mixed website for users, contributors
and developers - after some time all those groups felt they need their
information in the first place. the outcome was that the website became
cluttered and there was no easy way to find information for any of
the groups.

That said: if we today move us-specific content to the genereal website,
we will do this tomorrow for british contributors, then we will add
information for porters on ARM platform, then for those who work on
a new (ribbon anyone?) user interface .. and finally we will
have information for those who do the marketing for the ARM-specific
ribbon interface in US to the website.

Ok, I exaggerate :wink: But - once you started, you will not stop.
way of working constantly. So the information need to be changed very often
but should not be at several places. So please: put these information
to the wiki and make this better accessible.

My summary: www.libreoffice.org should be the global website with (main)
focus on end users. Neither should we put information of local interest
or to much details for contributors to the site.

André

I would like to ask a statement from the SC whether
www.libreoffice.org is our international page or the page for the
english-speaking community or even has a focus on North America.

Well .. I think, this will take some days to come up with an official
statement (as the statement might have some side-effects).

I think that www.libreoffice.org should definitely be the international page, although it will always be better suited for English speaking people.

As I said, the value of a website in English is close to zero for Italy because most Italian users will close the page once they realize it is not in Italian (i.e., in five seconds).

My summary: www.libreoffice.org should be the global website with (main)
focus on end users. Neither should we put information of local interest
or to much details for contributors to the site.

I think that the "get involved" pages, and not just the marketing ones, should make it easy for users to find the information at every level (including the participation to local communities).

If the detailed informations are supposed to stay on the wiki, then we should make them easily accessible from the web site (and vice versa), and we should make it clear on the website that the wiki is the entry point for volunteers even if they speak English.

Hi Volker,

I would like to ask a statement from the SC whether
www.libreoffice.org is our international page or the page for the
english-speaking community or even has a focus on North America.

has this topic come already to a conclusion on the lists, or is there still an official SC statement needed?

Thanks,

I would like to ask a statement from the SC whether
www.libreoffice.org  is our international page or the page for the
english-speaking community or even has a focus on North America.

has this topic come already to a conclusion on the lists, or is there still
an official SC statement needed?

I think the statement is not needed anymore. The other discutants
joined my opinion in the meantime and the questionable link has been
changed.

Thank you

Volker