Re: [steering-discuss] Bias of www.libreoffice.org

Hi,

Von: Volker Merschmann <merschmann@gmail.com>

I would like to ask a statement from the SC whether
www.libreoffice.org is our international page or the page for the
english-speaking community or even has a focus on North America.

Well .. I think, this will take some days to come up with an official
statement (as the statement might have some side-effects).

The question has to be asked because of the disussion at [1] if the
page http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/marketers/ should contain
a link to the US-Marketing-Mailinglist.

Imho the discussion should go back to where it started: do we need
this information at the website?

I'd say no. At OOo we used to have mixed website for users, contributors
and developers - after some time all those groups felt they need their
information in the first place. the outcome was that the website became
cluttered and there was no easy way to find information for any of
the groups.

That said: if we today move us-specific content to the genereal website,
we will do this tomorrow for british contributors, then we will add
information for porters on ARM platform, then for those who work on
a new (ribbon anyone?) user interface .. and finally we will
have information for those who do the marketing for the ARM-specific
ribbon interface in US to the website.

Ok, I exaggerate ;) But - once you started, you will not stop.
From my experience, people (in FLOSS projects) tend to adopt their
way of working constantly. So the information need to be changed very often
but should not be at several places. So please: put these information
to the wiki and make this better accessible.

My summary: www.libreoffice.org should be the global website with (main)
focus on end users. Neither should we put information of local interest
or to much details for contributors to the site.

André