[steering-discuss] Re: Trademark Policy of the Document Foundation

Le 21/01/11 15:21, Michael Meeks a écrit :

Hi all,

      There is some concern about the lack of clarity on whether
      incorporating libreoffice (or other marks) into a domain name
      is allowed - this is an area people often want to tread on, and
      we should probably directly address it.

      Similarly - it does not mention including 'libreoffice' into a
      business name - I think we should simply prohibit that.

      So I suggest we add a clarification of both of these to the end of the
"Non permitted use section".

      "Thus uses of the Marks in a domain name, or business name
       without explicit written permission from TDF are prohibited."

Whilst I believe that this is a good idea, from a practical application
of trademark law standpoint, it is not necessarily a valid condition,
because not all jurisdictions give deference to trademarks over domain
names. Just something to be aware of. So say I decide to file a FQDN
called f**klibreoffficeubstrds in some obscure territory's jurisdiction,
and which most would consider to be disparaging at the least and
offensive at the worst, then you might find you'll have a hard time
being able to do anything about it.

      Finally - I just realised that I'd like the "substantially unmodified"
clause to include a few more bundling bits: so

      "Substantially unmodified" means built from the source code
       provided by TDF, possibly with minor modifications including
       but not limited to: the enabling or disabling of certain
       features by default, translations into other languages, changes
       required for compatibility with a particular operating system
-      distribution, or the inclusion of bug-fix patches)."
+      distribution, the inclusion of bug-fix patches, or the bundling
+      of additional fonts, templates, artwork and extensions)

Seems fair enough to me. The current clause is a bit waffly and this
adds clarity.

Alex