[steering-discuss] development & releases

Hi

I think Oracle have decided they are competing with LibreOffice but so far we
seem to be co-operating with them. It would be wise for us to
1. Beat them to the finish line.
2. Keep aware of what they are doing, odd stats can help sometimes
3. Keep going the way we have been, rapid growth and development in
infra-structure and support along with excellent coding development
4. Keep co-operating as long as they let us.

After initial release we wil, of course, keep developing in all areas so rushing
final release and getting it out there wouldn't hurt us. We don't have to worry
about corporate clients right now but they do. So a 2nd release in another
couple of months wouldn't hurt us but it's almost unthinkable for them.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Are you suggesting that upstream (OOo) bugs are fixed independently in
LibreOffice? Or are you referring to LibreOffice specific bugs? For
that matter, is LibreOffice still pulling from OOo upstream? If so,
are bugs fixed in LibreOffice being submitted as patches to the OOo
bugtracker, or is it up to Oracle to come asking for them? I think
that it would be wise of LibreOffice to file the patches, and I am
willing to take that responsibility if needed.

Hi :slight_smile:

Since my earlier message, in this thread, got taken out of context (by deleting
the emails that i was responding to) my message lost it's meaning.

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Dotan, *,

(...)

Are you suggesting that upstream (OOo) bugs are fixed independently in
LibreOffice? Or are you referring to LibreOffice specific bugs? For
that matter, is LibreOffice still pulling from OOo upstream? If so,
are bugs fixed in LibreOffice being submitted as patches to the OOo
bugtracker, or is it up to Oracle to come asking for them? I think
that it would be wise of LibreOffice to file the patches, and I am
willing to take that responsibility if needed.

patches were put on a issue in the past, but they were not all incorporated in the
upstream build of OOo. Currently it is not posible to get all patches for LibreOffice
into OOo. Oracle is asking for copyright assignment for every pice of code and the
most free developers of LibreOffice are not willing to sign such document. Thus it is
not posible to reintegrate patches/features from LibreOffice to OOo. It is only
posible the other way around.

Regards,
Andreas