Re: [steering-discuss] Trademark Policy of the Document Foundation

2011/1/22 André Schnabel <andre.schnabel@gmx.net>:
Hi Michael,

Am 21.01.2011 15:21, schrieb Michael Meeks:

       So I suggest we add a clarification of both of these to the end of
the
"Non permitted use section".

       "Thus uses of the Marks in a domain name, or business name
        without explicit written permission from TDF are prohibited."

just to get this right: "business name" means name of a product, service,
company, organization
or similar. E.g. "LibreOffice Premium Support" would not be allowed.
But it is allowed to use the trademarks, describing your business service as
"We are XYZ Ltd.,
providing Support for LibreOffice "

       So - do people have problems with any of that ?

No .. means +1 to the modifications.

regards,

André

I thought a little info might be helpful.
I don't dare mention the product name... but another open source
product has the following clause in their trademark policy which
allows unwritten licencing of the trademark:

-----
//Use that does not require a written license//
Non-commercial Products that exist solely to support Drupal and its
adoption, use and users may use the Drupal trademark in promotional
materials, such as posters, books, pins, and t-shirts.

Use of the trademark that is merely descriptive of the Product is
acceptable without need of a license. If such description clearly
separates your trademark from the Drupal trademark (e.g. by describing
the Product as "YourProduct for Drupal"). In other words, you would
not need a license to promote the name "TotalTraining for Drupal" but
branding your product so it seems like it comes from Drupal (e.g.
"Drupal TotalTraining") would not be permissible.
-----

This policy has allowed the community to build a huge 3rd party
community support network around their product while protecting their
trademark successfully.

Maybe something to consider.
Michael Wheatland