[steering-discuss] RT for membership ?

Hi,

Von: Sophie Gautier

I begin to think about the tooling needed for the membership process.
Are we going to use RT [1] for handling requests and follow up? Gnome is
using it for his membership as well.
Or have you already anything else in mind?

Well .. I did not think about special tooling yet (at least not for our
start). I was rather thinking of a mailing list to send in applications,
a wiki page to track applications and member status and a web page
to list current members.

Maybe we (You, Fridrich, me) should first have a brief discussion on
how we like to handle the process, not precisely thinking of tools.
(E.g. who sends in applications, how to we prepare infos for our
decision, how and wen do we make the decision and how do we publish
our findings).

How about some IRC chat on this?

regarding RT vs. bugtracker - depends on who would work with the
tool. I don't want to force (possible) members to create
yet anonther account for yet another tool (yaafyat :slight_smile: ).

regards,

André

Sometimes looking at one of the tools available gives a better understanding of
what questions we need to ask ourselves and suggests best procedure. Trying to
force some tool to behave differently from it's defaults can make set-up
unnecessarily difficult.

I would flip a coin to decide which way around to do this!
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi André, Fridrich,

Hi,

Von: Sophie Gautier

I begin to think about the tooling needed for the membership process.
Are we going to use RT [1] for handling requests and follow up? Gnome is
using it for his membership as well.
Or have you already anything else in mind?

Well .. I did not think about special tooling yet (at least not for our
start). I was rather thinking of a mailing list to send in applications,
a wiki page to track applications and member status and a web page
to list current members.

Yes, I was thinking also that, but after a moment, I was afraid of thousands of mails to deal with, and the risk to miss some of them.

Maybe we (You, Fridrich, me) should first have a brief discussion on
how we like to handle the process, not precisely thinking of tools.
(E.g. who sends in applications, how to we prepare infos for our
decision, how and wen do we make the decision and how do we publish
our findings).

yes, you're right, I was also thinking of that

How about some IRC chat on this?

yes, great.

regarding RT vs. bugtracker - depends on who would work with the
tool. I don't want to force (possible) members to create
yet anonther account for yet another tool (yaafyat :slight_smile: ).

Right, ok, let see how we can organize ourself more simply as you suggest.

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi,

Well .. I did not think about special tooling yet (at least not for our
start). I was rather thinking of a mailing list to send in applications,
a wiki page to track applications and member status and a web page
to list current members.

the admin team currently plans OTRS for it's internal use, maybe we can open it up for the membership process as well. In addition, there will be an internal TDF wiki soon, which could also be used.

If you need something in the currently available infrastructure, let me know.

Florian