Re: [steering-discuss] Updated draft of the Community Bylaws

David Nelson wrote:
Michael wrote:
       Members are expected to refrain from any kind of expression of
       racism, xenophobia, sexism and religious or political
       intolerance.

       This sounds like a vow of chastity :-) It appears to apply to the whole
of life, and not just to engagement with TDF etc. As such is is somewhat
offensive, and in itself an oxymoron: "I can't tolerate your
intolerance" ;-). Many communities have people with strong, colorful and
opposing views expressed in strong terms. This to me is a sign of health
and diversity - instead of some bland pea-soup of non-expression :-)

Again, I'm afraid don't agree with you. One of the negative things
about many FOSS projects is the kind of negative behavior, attitudes
and treatment that people sometimes have to put up with - there have
been several threads in the TDF lists where it has occurred. I suspect
that there would be plenty of people who would support what I've
written.

Hi David, all,

there's a fine line here, and somewhat of a difference e.g. between
US- and european countries, when it comes to the aforementioned
points.  We've made it a rule in TDF, to not prematurely
over-regulate - so I'd generally be in favour of using common sense,
instead of blacklisting topics (which is not gonna cover all future
cases anyway). On that grounds, what about staying with the sentence
before (which is a whitelist, and thus inherently much more positive
in tone):

"Every Member is expected to deal with other Community Members and
 with our end users with courtesy, forbearance, objectivity,
 open-mindedness, friendliness, understanding, patience and
 goodwill."

and striking the contentious sentence for the while? Do you see any
of the blacklisted topics not covered by the positive statement?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten