Re: [steering-discuss] Updated draft of the Community Bylaws

Hello again,

Le Tue, 07 Dec 2010 12:15:22 +0000,
Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@novell.com> a écrit :

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 11:59 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
IMHO the "future commitment" is sufficiently built on an
(already over-long) three month history with the project - I would
like to see that removed.

      To expand on this; is it -really- our intention to deny
membership to people who have contributed a huge amount to
LibreOffice already, and are entirely new ? - having started work on
LibreOffice only when it was announced ?

We needed to put a date, but reading that sentence I'm sure that
there's enough flexibility to it to accommodate most of the tangential
cases... (Eventually the Membership Committee is going to come up with
all sorts of micro-rules and assessment that will give many of us a
complete headache)...

Best,
Charles.

      There is a lot to dislike in this:

      "Every membership applicant must have been active for at least
       three (3) months, and should make a moral commitment to at
       least six (6) months activity (not counting the first three
(3) months of fulfillment of qualification)."

      Can we not simply defer to the "significant contribution"
piece ? ultimately, if someone has made a really significant
contribution in the last week, I'm well up for them not being
excluded from membership; and I think we cover that in the criteria
for membership elsewhere: good reputation, and doing non-trivial work.

      Or do we plan some special one-off thing for entirely new
contributors since we created LibreOffice ?

      Thanks,

              Michael.

--
Charles-H. Schulz